p29 pistons oem rods
stage 2 crower NA cam (63442z)
with BC springs and retainers
RC 440cc injectors

DC 4-2-1 header, test pipe and 2.25" catback exahust

skunk 2 pro series IM, 66mm skunk2 TB and blox 4" intake

Blaster coil, Pro cap and 6AL box.

I am street tuning with hondata s300 on a p29 ecu

my question is about the ignition table and timing.
I remember the specs saying it has 4 deg advanced timing milled in to it.
so I set the timing 12 deg advanced on the dizzy and added it up on the s300 to 16 total advanced.

I want to know if I'm on the right track?

another thing is i keep adding timing and I'm getting good results but i am well over the timing that i set originally

should I reset the timing on my dizzy to match the timing on my ignition table?

I know I am asking a lot but i would really apricate the help!

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
739 Posts
Was it the cam that stated it has a 4° advance built in?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Then that statement doesn't apply to ignition timing, pull 4 degrees everywhere, reset distributor to 16° btdc, this will put injector timing back where it should be, you can then continue tuning your ignition curves. An adjustable cam gear will benefit you here, if you feel like it's soggy up top retard it 1° at a time, check valve lash, reset ignition timing, do a few test pulls and make some adjustments each time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then that statement doesn't apply to ignition timing, pull 4 degrees everywhere, reset distributor to 16° btdc, this will put injector timing back where it should be, you can then continue tuning your ignition curves. An adjustable cam gear will benefit you here, if you feel like it's soggy up top retard it 1° at a time, check valve lash, reset ignition timing, do a few test pulls and make some adjustments each time.
Thanks for the suggestion it makes sense and I do have a aem adjustable cam gear on my set up currently

16 deg btdc is 16 deg advance?

im wondering if I should just start with the base map d16z6 ignition on the s300 and do what you suggested honestly my ignition table looks pretty wonky after messing with it so much.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yes btdc is advanced. Was there any block decking or head milling done when the engine was built?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes btdc is advanced. Was there any block decking or head milling done when the engine was built?
No there was not OEM deck and OEM mill, I’m starting to understand now so where could I pull more power from the advancing the timing or the cam and cam gear?

No there was not OEM deck and OEM mill, I’m starting to understand now so where could I pull more power from the advancing the timing or the cam and cam gear?

·
Registered
739 Posts
It all works together, retarding your cam timing will move your torque peak further up in the rpms, advancing it will pull it down lower, there will be minor adjustments necessary to fuel and ignition curves to make peak power whenever you move the cam timing. It's important to reset base ignition timing and check valve lash each time you adjust the cam timing, then you make a couple pulls, tweak some things here and there, make a couple more pulls and see how it does.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It all works together, retarding your cam timing will move your torque peak further up in the rpms, advancing it will pull it down lower, there will be minor adjustments necessary to fuel and ignition curves to make peak power whenever you move the cam timing. It's important to reset base ignition timing and check valve lash each time you adjust the cam timing, then you make a couple pulls, tweak some things here and there, make a couple more pulls and see how it does.
Thanks bro with the info you gave me I re timed it and worked the ignition table a little but and it’s running and idling much better! Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts