Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys sorry if this is a completely retarded question

but if i get the Crower Stage 3 cams (not boosted yet, but in the future will be)and the valve springs that come with it, is that ALL i have to buy in order to install the cams?
(Keep in mind i won't be installing the cams myself, i have a friend who knows how to build motors and i trust him.)

Or should i get the crower stage 2 n/a or turbo cams.

I have a d17a2 and until i turbo it i want a quick hp boost and i know this will do the trick.

thanks in advance for your help :]

·
Registered
2002 Civic LX-G
95 Posts
The stage 3 is actually a N/A cam, but it works very well on a turbo it seems. Must be kind of the same deal as turbo B series guys using type R cams. You'll pretty much just need the cam, valve springs, and retainers (retainers aren't absolutely necessary in my opinion).

You may want to buy yourself a new cam seal and RTV scealant since youre going to have the cam holder assembly taken apart.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The stage 3 is actually a N/A cam, but it works very well on a turbo it seems. Must be kind of the same deal as turbo B series guys using type R cams. You'll pretty much just need the cam, valve springs, and retainers (retainers aren't absolutely necessary in my opinion).

You may want to buy yourself a new cam seal and RTV scealant since youre going to have the cam holder assembly taken apart.
yeah i know its a N/A cam, but i need some hp gain now thats why i was going to go with that.

the turbo is way down the line so that doesn't necessarily come into plan just now.

But you think the stage 3 would be good on my stock engine?

·
Registered
83 Posts
First of all, you only have one cam in a d17, hence, single overhead cam.

Second, if you get the crower valvetrain upgrade, retainers come with it. And if you're going to actually use the cam and valvetrain, the retainers are necessary if you're revving to 8k.

Third, as for performance gains, you can't just install the cam on a stock engine with a stock ecu and call it a day, it will never run. You need to get an ems for a cam, period. Pick up kpro, that's going to give you the most bang for the buck. Then, once you have it in and running, pick up the cam and valvetraing. Will it be worth it? Absolutely, you'll have some pretty noticeable gains doing those two things and it won't cost 2g.

·
Registered
243 Posts
First of all, you only have one cam in a d17, hence, single overhead cam.

Second, if you get the crower valvetrain upgrade, retainers come with it. And if you're going to actually use the cam and valvetrain, the retainers are necessary if you're revving to 8k.

Third, as for performance gains, you can't just install the cam on a stock engine with a stock ecu and call it a day, it will never run. You need to get an ems for a cam, period. Pick up kpro, that's going to give you the most bang for the buck. Then, once you have it in and running, pick up the cam and valvetraing. Will it be worth it? Absolutely, you'll have some pretty noticeable gains doing those two things and it won't cost 2g.
kpro ????? are u serious.

·
Registered
311 Posts
yes kpro! what else? all the others suck let alone that there isint many options for tuning the d17

·
Registered
'02 Civic LX Coupe
609 Posts
Kpro runs about a grand and the only other good option for 7th gen tuning if the AEM full standalone EMS system, which runs around $1800 or more. And d17project to answer your question as to would the stage 3 be good for a stock motor: my simple answer would be no. It may be alright once the turbo is on, but before that if you run that big of a cam you're gonna want high compression in order to take advantage of it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kpro runs about a grand and the only other good option for 7th gen tuning if the AEM full standalone EMS system, which runs around $1800 or more. And d17project to answer your question as to would the stage 3 be good for a stock motor: my simple answer would be no. It may be alright once the turbo is on, but before that if you run that big of a cam you're gonna want high compression in order to take advantage of it.
so you recommend the stage 2?

and can i see your car, it looks nice by the specs i see

·
Registered
'02 Civic LX Coupe
609 Posts
so you recommend the stage 2?

and can i see your car, it looks nice by the specs i see
At the largest i would go, yes a stage 2. And still to really get the full benefit of that cam you should go ahead with P&P and high compression pistons.

·
Registered
'02 Civic LX Coupe
609 Posts
I am computer retarded my friend and i cannot figure out how to post the pics up again...BUT if you wanna see it you can find it in the Thread called from earlier called something like "Post up pics of your 7th gens" Mine is in there among the many so just search for "jamisgood" in the search bar. SOrry i have to make it so difficult lol.

Cheers

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
haha its alright man i'll find it and i have some news thats upsetting.

so i got these wheels (rims and tires) from my friend for 200$ i had to get them it was too good of a deal and something change for my car.

well one lug was stripped beyond belief and impacted so tight that its impossible to get off

so i take it to a shop to see if they can take it off well they start to take it off and then stop in the middle and say "we're closing come back later"

so i've been coming back for like 3 or 4 days now and am getting NO assistance whats so ever, so i take it this other shop and he said they charge 65$ per hour.

my question is do you guys think it will take an hour to get off the whole lug screw or no?

because right now i'm sitting 2 white wheels in the back and my 2 old silver wheels in the front.

back are 17's fronts 16's.

i don't mind driving around like this, but i would really like to get those wheels on. it just makes me mad when people charge by the hour because they can take their time and what not :/

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
its the front and i just put my original wheels on i'm going to worry about that later when i get my d2's.

its ridiculous the service people get you know?

it makes me sick.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts