Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That would be an understatement considering geo metros with little boost can surpass my setup!! end results was 229whp @ 28psi. We couldnt figure it out. the engine is fine, compression test showed 150 psi across the board, the turbo spools, theres no boost leaks, its got the fuel and ignition. wtf more does it want.. all my dyno runs were done open header, 3" downpipe. The setup is simple just a stock head z6 with vitara pistons/tt rods, gm 3bar map sensor, precison 880cc injectors, walboro 255lph, ebay cast iron manifold, 57 trim turbo rebuilt by blaast.

My last setup was ultra budget ebay setup and had no problems making 325whp. all i changed was the cylinder head and turbo. both working perfect but not giving me any results.

What do you guys think the problem can be? i'm so stumped right now i feel like selling everything and just get an evo..

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Timing is off somewhere.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Timing is off somewhere.

engine timing or ignition timing? engine timing is dead on but my tuner had control of ignition timing. he said that wasnt the problem. i dunno.

·
11,892 Posts

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
thats the most unefficient numbers ive heard... 28psi and only 229hp?? something doesnt sound right..
one of three things.
boost leak... (you said you checked, but im sure you can find one) pressure test it using 28psi of boost through the turbo inlet. (intake) and i bet youll find a leak.
timing that would be ignition timing.
or the dyno needs help. or the "dyno" loads are wrong

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont think you have a 57 trim t3/t04...
http://d-series.org/forums/forced-induction/113691-ebay-turbo-finally-died.html

mind telling me what it is then?

wow..
umm... mabye a try a different tuner?
are you one of those that are quick to blame the tuner?
hes a good friend of mine and tuned many of my setups in the passed. he knows what hes doing. besides my setup is simple! doesnt need someone with special skills like jfk!

You sure? Did you double check?
yup even the shop owner checked it.

but your right it does sound like an engine timing issue. but lets say something, even if it was off a tooth i wouldnt be able to get 150 psi across the board with the compression tester.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thats the most unefficient numbers ive heard... 28psi and only 229hp?? something doesnt sound right..
one of three things.
boost leak... (you said you checked, but im sure you can find one) pressure test it using 28psi of boost through the turbo inlet. (intake) and i bet youll find a leak.
timing that would be ignition timing.
or the dyno needs help. or the "dyno" loads are wrong
the shop had a smoke machine so we used that and the only smoke that we was able to see was around the throttle body area and thats normal.

is the pressure test more accurate than a smoke machine? cause if it is i'll go make one right now.

i thought maybe the dyno was off as well, but a test run into 2nd gear at nearly 30 psi fell on its face. times like this i miss my greddy kit setup..

i really dont know what else to check for other than driving this shit into the hudson.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Something is off mechanically. Doubt it has anything to do w/ the tuner.

That averages to be 4.6whp per psi...
Where is the smoke at the tb coming from? Is it between the tb and mani? Are you sure it didn't come from anywhere else?
I'd be more apt to pressure test and check your couplers and timing.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Something is off mechanically. Doubt it has anything to do w/ the tuner.

That averages to be 4.6whp per psi...
Where is the smoke at the tb coming from? Is it between the tb and mani? Are you sure it didn't come from anywhere else?
I'd be more apt to pressure test and check your couplers and timing.
i guess if its something mechanical would a leak down test help isolate the problem?

At first the smoke looks like it was coming from between the tb and mani but if u look closer, smoke was coming from the iacv, throttle plate spring, and fitv underneath the throttle body. I wish i videod that part. but it still wasnt alot of smoke.

i'll pressure test the system later on today. hopefully i'll find something.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
something is wrong.

how much timing are you running at 28psi?

did it make good power at lower psi?

the turbo must be spinning fine in order to make 28psi...

take the housing off the turbo and measure the inducer and exducer of the compressor wheel

something is really fishy

are you sure the mad VTAK is kicking

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
mind telling me what it is then?
i would need the turbo in hand to know for sure. iirc, ebay turbos are actually 40 trim turbos....

if everything is as you say, then it would be one of very few things.

cfm rate
timing
a/f

just saying..
something is wrong.

how much timing are you running at 28psi? good question

did it make good power at lower psi?

the turbo must be spinning fine in order to make 28psi...

take the housing off the turbo and measure the inducer and exducer of the compressor wheel this should have been done at blaast. but i wouldnt trust them. to be honest, if people look around there have been more then a few people ask wtf after a turbo is rebuilt by them. a good example is Levi. his 19t was done by them and he now makes less power then he did before. same tuner and same dyno.

something is really fishy agreed

are you sure the mad VTAK is kicking very god question also.

·
11,892 Posts
^If the 57 trim ebay turbos are really 40 trim then how did jfk or whoever initially break the vitara record on one at 30 pounds?

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
^If the 57 trim ebay turbos are really 40 trim then how did jfk or whoever initially break the vitara record on one at 30 pounds?
x2 along with everyone else int he 400whp.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
because JFK actually had a 57 trim.

they faded out, and are pretty rare to find on ebay now.

the best thing to do is measure the inducer and exducer and find out the trim that way

if you check out some ebay auctions, and read the information, they list inducer as 2 inch and exducer as 3 inch. do the math, thats a 44 trim. yet they still put the magic key word in there, 57 trim!

its quite classic. true ebay bullshit at its finest.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts