Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright well im my z6 i spun a bearing and before i asked if i would be able to reuse the main bearing cap since the rod nicked it a little bit. i was told it should be able to be reused but to worry about if the crank was okay. there is a engine building shop in town and was wondering if i would have better luck takin it down there to get checked or if i could use a crank out of another z6 thats sitting in the garage? and if i did take it the shop where could i find the specs on the crank to give to them? or should they already have that there or whatnot? any help would be great. thanks alot guys

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
If you spun a main bearing I'd be more worried about the block than the crank, if it was a rod bearing then use the other crank if it's good. It's rare for the crank to come out clean from spinning a bearing.

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the block looks fine. no crazy scratched on the walls. it just sucks cause i baught the motor off a dude on here that said it was rebuilt and nope it def wasnt. haha. but il be checkin it out within the week. thanks for the info on the crank prolly not being good.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
It's not the cylinders you need to look at, measure the main bearing journals. When bearings spin they enlarge the spot there in from spinning and slapping around.

·
Registered
05 Legacy GT
867 Posts
The engine shop should be able to find the correct numbers.

If you use a different crank, you normally do a line bore.

Bring everything you can to the shop. That way they can measure up everything and recommend what your options are.

Where do you live and what shop? May be one of us is close and has used the shop before.

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im in burlington iowa. its called olson bro. they build the race car engines for the dirt track around here and stuff. pretty good but expensive

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
If you use a different crank, you normally do a line bore.

I've never heard this before, and I worked in an engine shop. What's the logic behind this? Honda's are simple, you look at the numbers on the block, and the numbers on the crank, referance the chart in the service manual, and buy the right bearings.

·
Registered
05 Legacy GT
867 Posts
It's fairly common, our GE block was just line bored by them to make sure it was true for what ever crank we put in it.

It's also common on domestics.

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've never heard this before, and I worked in an engine shop. What's the logic behind this? Honda's are simple, you look at the numbers on the block, and the numbers on the crank, referance the chart in the service manual, and buy the right bearings.
if the crank has to be im goin to say shaved down if thats the right term since it might have been hurt from the spun bearing or what not. wouldnt you need to get a different bearing size to fit it? im just askin cause i dont know and im new with the engine building stuff. ive onyl had stock motors that were boosted. so im still learning here.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
if the crank has to be im goin to say shaved down if thats the right term since it might have been hurt from the spun bearing or what not. wouldnt you need to get a different bearing size to fit it? im just askin cause i dont know and im new with the engine building stuff. ive onyl had stock motors that were boosted. so im still learning here.
You would need to use oversized bearings to make up the differance between the block and what was taken off the crank.

1992Si said:
It's fairly common, our GE block was just line bored by them to make sure it was true for what ever crank we put in it.

It's also common on domestics.
I've never heard of line boreing/honeing to fit the crank unless the journal dimensions were changed, a main bearing had spun, or you were making everything standardised to use ACL or similer aftermarket bearings. As far as doing it just because your changing cranks, with proper measurement (or Hondas bearing codes if things aren't severly worn) you shoulden't need to if you have various sized bearings to keep the clearances right.

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright thanks alot again guys. il let you guys know when i get it all taken care of and maybe get to postin pics of the car since i havent done it yet.

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so instead. i just found a complete bottom end of a y7 motor. now my question is would this motor be okay to run with my z6 head? i would be gettin it for $225 with a clutch. stage one i belive. and it has 80k on it. also i will be runnin boost. last motor was at 10 psi on a 15g little guy. let me know if this is a good idea to get it. cause im not sure cause im pretty sure its not as good as the z6 and the compression is diff so it would need retuned. im just mostly lookin to having a car again and not driving my dads truck anymore haha

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright thanks alot man. time to start lookin again haha

·
Registered
05 Legacy GT
867 Posts
Inconclusive in my opinion.

And you say this to a guy who just spun his Z6. LOL!

He is one of the few that has spun a bearing in a z6. It's not normal. y8's have a much greater chance of doing that. I think 99% of the guy's on forums will agree with that.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
i had three different y7's while i was building my car up the first time. the stock one, the one to replace the d15b i swapped in, and the one i built. not one of them spun a bearing. i know people have spun bearings and i have seen the evidance. but i have not actually had this happen to me.

just saying...

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
check out my sig, z6's will spin bearings too.....lol
haha least you still head a bearing lol. my #2 was completely gone! it was in peices in the oil pick up. the crank is goin to the shop today to see if it did any real damage so maybe i can reuse it if its not to bad.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts