Honda D Series Forum banner

Crankshaft seal

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  FarmerD 
#1 ·
So I dropped a crankshaft off at the machine shop. (It took me a month to find the crankshaft) the machine shop said everything is perfect besides the crankshaft ends. They said the ends are worn and may leak in the future. What do you guys think, is there anything I could put on the seals or anything to make this work????

#9 ·
That's what I'm thinking. They do things perfect which I respect. They didn't even want to micro polish it without me looking at the wear so save me the money if I decided I didn't want to use that crank. I'll send pics once I get off work, like I said everything else about it is in perfect order.

#10 ·
Its fine just put a new seal on there and live life.

You can offset the seal slightly, if you really really want to. But it will be fine.

They are basically trained that when you "rebuild" something for a customer, its for a 200,000 mile service life, and if something is a little worn, its obviously not going to make that target. In reality, you will probably put under 50,000 miles on this thing, especially if you are building it for boost. And when someone builds a modified, high performance engine, things like small weeps from seals caused by high crank case pressure is an obvious side effect.

Build it, drive it, enjoy. It wont be worth the hassle or cost to do anything about it. Give it a quick polish with some emery and put er together with some lube and move on. It will probably never leak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.