Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced (preventive maintenance) my ACL rod bearings in a turbo D16y8 with about 10k miles. Well, there were not destroyed but not brand new so I decided to replaced them. I've seen that in contrast to D16z6 crank, the D16y8 has only one hole for rod bearing oiling and this might be a good reason for rod bearing failure (my oil pump is ported and oil pressure was well above standard under all conditions). My question is does the same apply for D17a2 cranks? (do they also have one hole?). I am planning to build a new motor and keep my d16y8 as spare and not sure whether to start with a D17a2 or a D16z6 (the former has the benefit of more displacement, the latter is more proven). I run daily about 16psi.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
throw the d17 rotating into another d16 block, you wont be able to drop the d17 entirely in place.

people simply dont get the Y subseries motors. you wont spin the bearings with a d16y rotating assembly.

hell, honda even authorized use of 5w-20 with 96-00 civics. that should say something

My two cents on what to build:

stroker is expensive for what you need, since stock d17 rods are puny.

find any d16 setup, do a vitara build and good rods if you want a cheapish 3-400whp supported motor

·
Registered
4 Posts
throw the d17 rotating into another d16 block, you wont be able to drop the d17 entirely in place.

people simply dont get the Y subseries motors. you wont spin the bearings with a d16y rotating assembly.

hell, honda even authorized use of 5w-20 with 96-00 civics. that should say something

My two cents on what to build:

stroker is expensive for what you need, since stock d17 rods are puny.

find any d16 setup, do a vitara build and good rods if you want a cheapish 3-400whp supported motor
I'm not sure if you meant to say d16z6 rotating assembly or not because y sub series are more prone to spinning bearings.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whole story: I was using quite thick oil (AMS 5w50) for about 10k miles in my Vitara long rod D16y8 setup. ACL rod bearings with clearance in the upper Honda range (within spec). I swapped my oil pan for an aluminum unit for better cooling (out of a Euro D16w1, Honda HRV) and decided to check my rod bearings since it was a good opportunity with oil pan removed. I did not expect to see any wear there due to low mileage but later I was so relieved to have done so. Rod bearings had obvious wear, equivalent to many tenths of thousands miles. I just installed a new ACL set and decided to recheck them in about 10k miles. I also swapped to AMS 0w40 signature oil and fit a restrictor to my ball bearing turbo (1mm) which was not in place before. Oil pressure is now higher despite using thinner oil due to turbo oil restrictor. I initially thought that the reason for this kind of wear was the D16y8 single-hole crank but decided to give the motor another chance before swapping cranks.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
5w-50 during cold starts means it was almost exclusively bypassing the filter until warm. most oil filters have a fairly low "high" pressure bypass, and 50 weight oil will trigger most.

the wear most likely is NOT from the d16Y sub series oiling system. I actually have never seen anyone prove it is a shitty oiling system

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I was thinking the same thing. Now with 0w40 AMS signature, it should trigger the bypass much less often. Where do you think wear could come from? Oil changes every 2-3k miles, genuine Honda filter, proper rod bearing clearances, max oil temp ever registered 243F.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts