Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, sorry for the lack of pics. I need a little help on crankshaft specs. And what better place to ask then a d series specific forum. I belong to other forums. Anywho, I have a d16y8, long story short I spun a bearing. So I had the crank resurfaced. .10 on the mains and .20 on the rods. I plan on building a boosted D. The problem is I have thing to build the bottom end, except I don't exactly trust the cut crank. I bought a y7 crank from what I have searched I found that they are the same part number...... But mine look a little different. So my questions are:
1. Are the Y8 and y7 cranks the same?
2. Can I use a cut crank for 275-300hp?
3. Can I use a y7 crank in a y8 block.
4. Is there a difference between vtec and non vtec cranks.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
D16Y7 p/n= 13300-P2E-305

D16Y8 p/n= 13300-P2E-305

Y7-Y8 SAME, you could also use a Z6 or a A6 crank.

If your cut crank was done right and still in spec I don't see what wrong with using it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
D16Y7 p/n= 13300-P2E-305

D16Y8 p/n= 13300-P2E-305

Y7-Y8 SAME, you could also use a Z6 or a A6 crank.

If your cut crank was done right and still in spec I don't see what wrong with using it?
Thanks for the reply, I'm going to post a few pics when I get the chance. My old crank (y8) has what looks to be ball bearings pressed into the crank, while the new crank (y7) doesn't.
his crank was cut down on all nine journals, I hope it was retreated right.
Also thank you for the reply, I am goin to take the new crank (y7) to be polished and balanced I believe the rods need to be cut as well. But I'm a little more comfortable using a crankshaft with just the rods cut .10 rather then a rod with mains and rods cut.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
What looks to be ball bearings is added counter weight, it's added when the crank is balanced. Your Y7 don't have it cause it didn't need it when they balanced it.

Where ever you take the Y7 crank to be polished make sure they know it spins counter clockwise, if they polish or cut the crank clockwise like a lot of other engines you will spin bearings all the time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FML, i talked to a few more people and i was told that its not a counter weight, its to clean the oil journals a little better. im a little nervous about this now. im definately not going to use the old crank. But i think i may have to get the new crank cut on the rods. what does heat treating consist of?

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,831 Posts
take pics of this please ^^ and the so called counter weights. normaly they just drill holes in the heavy side to ballince a crank not add things to it

·
Registered
97 civic lx
967 Posts
FML, i talked to a few more people and i was told that its not a counter weight, its to clean the oil journals a little better. im a little nervous about this now. im definately not going to use the old crank. But i think i may have to get the new crank cut on the rods. what does heat treating consist of?
Im not understanding what "crank cut on the rods" means... but if your going turbo, why don't you just buy forged rods and pistons? For your power goal your going to have to anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im not understanding what "crank cut on the rods" means... but if your going turbo, why don't you just buy forged rods and pistons? For your power goal your going to have to anyway.
I worded that poorly, I mean im going to have the rod journals cut down. most likely .10 at this point im going to probably buy a new crank from honda. they are relatively cheap compared to the aftermarket options for D series cranks. i dont think anybody can compare to the honda quality.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,831 Posts
dude just but a used one for 20 dollars. most time you can get full swaps for not more then 400$ where are you loacted. if your in nova scotia i have one you can have for free. either a Y8 or A6

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I could if bought a good used one for 20$ don't you think I would of done that? I bought a used y7 crank because here in the states specifically Philadelphia , d series cranks are very hard to come by. I paid a good bit for it....... My main concerns are using a cut crank for boost.

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
If I could if bought a good used one for 20$ don't you think I would of done that? I bought a used y7 crank because here in the states specifically Philadelphia , d series cranks are very hard to come by. I paid a good bit for it....... My main concerns are using a cut crank for boost.
Ive always been told to not use a 'cut' crank for high rpm/hp.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,831 Posts
thats crazy ill ship you 5 of them if you pay for the shipping. then you can sell them for profit. people use them for door stops here lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol are they good? Because the one I have only needs the rod journals cut, im not doing 600hp lol 250-300. If I can't find a good crank I'm just goin to sell me d series parts lol. I have a BNIB stage 2 comp clutch, OEM fly wheel BNIB, and all OEM bolts. I have a z6 mani sitting around. I wanted to build a d bit I'm getting very discouraged.

·
Registered
94 hatch
450 Posts
yeah here in ontario d motors are everywhere cuz of the b craze, people unload em cheap all the time.
edit
and if you buy Evanguy's cranks you'll have spares :) also why did you buy a y7 crank for "good money" that needed to be cut?

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,831 Posts
yeah here in ontario d motors are everywhere cuz of the b craze, people unload em cheap all the time
yes, thats why they are fun to build people practly give them away lol. i have bought lots of parts for less then they are worth in alu. scrap

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fml. I'm gonna put some pics up in a few minutes. Thanks for the help/ warm welcome guys. It really helps in a frustrating situation.

·
Registered
852 Posts
You shouldn't use the cut crank because the OEM crank has a hard coating on it IIRC. That's what Transzex means by retreated

And to the canadians: I will gladly take any a6/z6 cranks you guys have. I'd pay for shipping, etc provided they are good.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts