Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I tried to put a D16Z6 cam and rocker assembly with locked VTEC on a D16y7. Car didn’t fire up. So I thought it was the cam and new rockers. so I went back to stock and the car still didn’t fire back up. I set #1 top dead center, all the timing marks lined up. Got a new distributor, have spark. order is as continued 1,3,4,2. I did a valve lash adjustment, checked all the grounds. All the fuses are good and healthy.

The car turns all day. when the spark plugs are dry, 1 pop and flames 🔥 come out of the throttle body. looked in the throttle body I can see gas sitting there.

Before the car would start on the first turn like a champ. All my timing marks line up when I’m top dead center. Could I be missing something else?

·
Registered
'93 / '95 Del Sol Si - '95 DX Coupe - '00 Accord EX F23 Manual
2,200 Posts
If the car ran excellent before you did the job, there's a 99.9% chance that your problem is in that area. Did you touch anything else at the time of doing the job?

If it cranks and everything seems cool, I would guess that it has something to do with the distributor connection somewhere. I was guessing dizzy rotor until you said that you tried a new distributor. But it does sound like a bad dizzy rotor.

Did you have any issues getting the dizzy harness / clip to come apart? Did you really tug on the wires at any point?

Also - Honda dizzys are made so that they can't be put in backwards...but it has happened before. Usually, the car sputters and runs like shit. But did you possibly put the dizzy key in upside down and jam it in there?

I'm just spitballing here. But the problem clearly happened when doing the job.

Did you check the ECU / ECU backup fuses under the hood?

And when you figure out what's up, make sure you come back and tell us (and future thread readers) the conclusion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts