Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so trying to rebuild a y8 fail for a buddy and the crank is .046 on one of the rod bearings, thats a baaaaaaaaad spin

im 99% sure its junk any others agree?

·
Registered
2007 Dodge ram
293 Posts
If I am not mistaken they can be turned up to 50 thousandths and you can get bearings for proper clearances... I know they can be turned 25 thousandths for suer because I have a crank turned that far with matching bearings. I beleive my machinist told me he could go 50 over if necessary... So maybe it is salvagable...

For clarification purposes my crank is a D16Z6 that is turned...

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i knew .025 can be done but im just not sure since the honda cranks have that coating on the journals

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
I think much past .050 you run into going past the hardend steel layer.

·
Registered
2007 Dodge ram
293 Posts
.046 is a Baaaad Spin fur sure... If this is for a boosted application or a built N/A motor (non stock) I would likely trash the crank and get a different one... Even if they can turn it .050 and get a bearing to match you would still be running a compromised crank...

On the other hand, if your just rebuilding the engine for daily commute the the turned crank should be fine...

Not sure what they charge to turn a crank where you are but here in Arkansas its about $85 - $125 to get one turned plus the cost of bearings... I am sure you can get a better shape crank for less $$$

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
the "coating" is often gone before the second owner gets the car...

iirc, oe crank can be turned once only. how much is a normal turn? idk, never had an issue where i had to turn one.

imo, junk the crank and get a used one for cheap. iirc the one i got for my y7 build was 60+ shipping. it came from cali or az to the east coast, so total it was like 100-110.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fresh crank it is. . . gonna be a bitch to find a good y series one fucking oil pump lol

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah nada not even a z6 lol

·
Registered
2007 Dodge ram
293 Posts
I see someone has gone to the dark side... You should Zoom Zoom your way back to honda's... LOL... J/k... I've had 5 Mazda's (4 RX 7's and a 626) before I came to get my first Honda...

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
off topic... sorry

I see someone has gone to the dark side... You should Zoom Zoom your way back to honda's... LOL... J/k... I've had 5 Mazda's (4 RX 7's and a 626) before I came to get my first Honda...
12 hondas before my first mazda ;)

but my mazdas are super rare, so i kinda like them more and more... idk if i will own a honda again, for now i am happy just working on friends hondas.

1200 gtx made
900 gt made

1 - 12 of 12 Posts