Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a rebuild on a d16y8 and trying to install the crank. When I torque the cap bolts down to spec (58 ft/lbs) the crank won't spin at all. It still spins when I torque the bolts to the first torque spec (22 ft/lbs,) but when I complete torque it doesn't spin. I used a correct torque sequence, starting from the inside and going out. What could I be doing wrong.... or worse.... what could be messed up?;

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Do you have all the tangs in the right slots? the bearings have to click in and slide into the tangs.

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
'08 Mazdaspeed3
2,469 Posts
I'm doing a rebuild on a d16y8 and trying to install the crank. When I torque the cap bolts down to spec (58 ft/lbs) the crank won't spin at all. It still spins when I torque the bolts to the first torque spec (22 ft/lbs,) but when I complete torque it doesn't spin. I used a correct torque sequence, starting from the inside and going out. What could I be doing wrong.... or worse.... what could be messed up?;
journal(s) are either out of round, you are using the wrong caps OR the clearances are just too tight.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I had that prob. It needed to be linebored. I just got another block.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bearings are in correctly... I made sure of that. The block must be warped. You will probably call me stupid, but I had my block on an engine stand for 6 months waiting for money for the build....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the crank to spin, it was just kinda stuck. I put a bolt on the crank and it took a little pressure put i broke free and now spins fairly easily. Is this normal? It takes about 7 or 8 ft/lbs to spin the crank. If I leave it sit for a few seconds, it gets a little tight again and takes about 15 ft/lbs to break it free and it will spin again at 7 or 8 ft/lbs. Is this common when rebuilding because everything is new and the thick consistency of assembly lube or is there something wrong?

·
Registered
76 Posts
no, at least in my experience, it should turn fairly easily. After changing out the bearings and re-torqueing, i was able to turn the assembly over with my hand just rotating the crank pulley

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem fixed. Chiltons was trying to f me up and give me wrong torque specs. The 58 ft/lbs they suggest is way too tight compared to honda's 38 ft/lb specs. Now that every thing is torqued to spec I can turn everything easily by hand.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
The bearings are in correctly... I made sure of that. The block must be warped. You will probably call me stupid, but I had my block on an engine stand for 6 months waiting for money for the build....
Hey, I'm probably going to break that record... LOL We like Hondas because they're our DDs and cheap to build on the side. I've WDd and plastic bagged mine in the mean time.

BTW, Discount Tire tire bag make great engine coverings! LOL

·
Registered
725 Posts
Assembly lube saved my motor. My oil pump went the day I got my motor runing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts