Honda D Series Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not a mechanic so the theory proposed in my subject heading is only a hypothesis.

My car was up on the hoist today and to my surprise we found that the crank seal was leaking. I had my engine rebuilt about a year ago and I am pretty sure that the crank seal was brand new installed at that time. Is it odd for a crank seal to give out that early?

Would a bad crank seal cause noticeable oil loss between oil changes?

The leak may very well be from the cam seal as well..

I am going to have both replaced mid april. Is it ok to drive the car if these seals are on their way out and leaking slightly?

Im not sure but, could a leaky crank or cam seal cause my belt to slip?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
if i have to replace my timing belt due to oil getting at it.. Should I just use OEM or since I am boosted, should I use a reinforced type of belt ??

any use in getting a gates racing timing belt?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how can you determine if the leak is from the crank seal or the oil pump to block seal?

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
While in there I would re-seal the oil pump if you have any doubts. The crank seal probably isn't bad, it is probably the crank snout there where the seal meets the seal has worn a groove...casuing oil to leak out a bit.

I had the small problem at the opposite end of my crank...the rear main seal. Brand new seal, but because of the groove worn into the crank there it caused a little to push out cuz of the groove. The oil never touched the working part of the clutch/PP/FW though thank God.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've had both my crank and my rear main seals leak and honestly it doesn't leak enough to actually be noticed unless you have puddles wherever you park. If your losing a lot of oil during oil changes you have other problems. If your timing belt is slipping its either stretched or your didn't install the belt correctly.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had both my crank and my rear main seals leak and honestly it doesn't leak enough to actually be noticed unless you have puddles wherever you park. If your losing a lot of oil during oil changes you have other problems. If your timing belt is slipping its either stretched or your didn't install the belt correctly.
I have not noticed any symptoms from a slipping timing belt, since i dont realy know what the symptoms are but i doubt that I would hit 13psi with a slipping timing belt.

I do notice a small puddle under the car and dripping from the side of the oil pan just as if the crank seal was leaky. I know the crank seal takes a lot of abuse.

I checked my oil levels and they seem to be fine, after 800kms of occasional hard driving

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
im guessing you are running the factory PCV system, a front main seal shouldnt go out that fast, but on a interferance motor anything getting onto the timing belt that would make it soften and break pre-maturely is never good... no matter what its not good. with it leaking the timing shouldnt slip aslong as it was installed properly and has sufficent tension on it.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
i wouldnt use anything but OEM seals when it comes to main parts like a front main crankshaft seal. they have them last for a long time, iv seen many of aftermarket seals fail very very fast

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
does anyone here know if the FJ distributors turbo superkit comes with an OEM front crankshaft seal?

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
first off timing belts dont slip they jump teeth

as for the leak if its not a "drip" its not a major concern.

but if you have a significant drop in oil between changes there is something else wrong.

and when you say your catch can set up is fine what does that mean?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
first off timing belts dont slip they jump teeth

as for the leak if its not a "drip" its not a major concern.

but if you have a significant drop in oil between changes there is something else wrong.

and when you say your catch can set up is fine what does that mean?

Catch can is set up as follows

3 hoses into can elevated at the highest possible level by firewall. All 3 hoses come from valve cover...
1 big hose goes into the very top of this catch can and is routed into the intake that attaches to the turbo..
I have the stock pcv system unplugged. The black box vents to atmosphere
intake manifold port is plugged up where the pcv used to plug into

For instance if you were to start the car up for 2 minutes to drive it onto a flat surface. and then check the oil imediately after, oil would be still sitting in the oil feed and in the head of the motor...this would give off a false sense that "you" are low on oil correct?

Which explains why when I check the oil after driving the car for a while (letting the car cool off for 20 minutes) the oil level appears right on par . I think I am just being to critical here.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
also thinkin that the open black box might be causing a restriction just a thought tho

and if it were it could be causing excess pressure in the crank case..

another idea for you might be to try to vent to atmosphere as if the venturi is not functioning proper it might not be pulling a strong enough vac....that also depends on your hose sizes

ex is if you have two -10 off the vc you would want a hose around a -16 vac tube

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.