Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
VTEC withdrawals
i "ride" yo momma
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive looked around and found some threads on how to get the crank pully nut off and i still cant seem to get mine off...ive done wd40...1/2 inch impact...and i even tried hitting the head of the nut with a hammer....can ANYONE help?

·
VTEC withdrawals
i "ride" yo momma
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
motor in. and a breaker bar only makes the motor turn over....how am i supposed to lock it down cause ive got a monster breaker bar

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
motor in. and a breaker bar only makes the motor turn over....how am i supposed to lock it down cause ive got a monster breaker bar
remove the starter and slide a prybar/large screwdriver in the flywheel teeth to hold it in place. this works better with two people.

·
Registered
156 Posts
What motor do you have? If it's any variation of D16 there should be hex-shaped hole that you insert a special tool to hold the crank. They also make a tool for the D15's as they do not have the hexagon hole. You can also make your own tool. I'm using this reference as I made my own tool for my D15. crankshaftpulleyholdingtools (hondalioness)

Pulley holder + 1/2 breaker bar + 5 foot pipe = win

·
VTEC withdrawals
i "ride" yo momma
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where is this hole? its a JDM D15B. and ill try the fly thing.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Something about jamming the flywheel with a screwdriver doesn't sit well with me, but good luck. That's the same motor I have and mine doesn't have the hex hole either. I suggest doing what the link says and make your own tool. That's what I did but like I said in my previous post, I won't know how good it work until tomorrow when I actually use it. I bought all the material at Lowe's and it was like 15 bucks for the welding bar and drill bit.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
The flywheel trick works, but even the biggest screwdriver I have wouldn't hold up to the 156ft lb factory torque on it. Try finding a small pry bar instead. Best case scenarios is that you have a Z6 pulley and that way you can use the Honda crank pulley tool.

·
Registered
581 Posts
a little pb blaster, a breaker bar and a fat friend always works for me lol. just keep at it.
i was the fat owner of the car...i put one of my hams on it while my buddy made sure it stayed on...nothing like brute force...

:)

·
Registered
554 Posts
i put the car in fifth gear and had a friend hit the brakes while i stuck a screw driver in the flywheel with the dust plate removed. then had a 3ft breaker bar and a fat guy and that worked for me

·
Registered
^^^^^^
416 Posts
I had an interesting time removing it from my 89 hatch. Ended up using a medium sized pipe wrench to hold the crank pulley itself, a half inch impact at 120psi, and a three foot long pipe wrench on the socket extension closest to the impact gun. We had like four long extensions on it in order to get it out of the fender well. Once I finally got the pipe wrench to dig into the smooth socket extension, my buddy ran the impact gun at full power until the bolt finally came loose in about 10 seconds.

Warning - may damage crank pulley, but much easier than trying to hold it with a screwdriver.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
put it in gear, bash the head of the bolt a couple times with a sledge and then throw some pb-blaster on it. Then warm the head up with some map-gas for about 30 seconds and hit it with the air gun should zip right off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts