Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious on what the easiest way to get a crank pulley off and also if it has reverse threads? the motor right now is on a engine stand and im clueless

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
a 3/4 impact gun....they are the biggest pain in the world and so hard to get off and there not reverse threads.

·
Registered
936 Posts
you get one of those watch-you-micall-its.....belt clamp or something and you use a torque wrench with a partner to hold the belt to the crankshaft and you turn the crank with torque wrench by hand.

or you could use an impact wrench and sit there for hours with no results. trust me i have a 1/2 inch impact wrench set on full blast and that thing still didn't come off. (i think it was 90 psi on the compressor and wrench set full)

·
Registered
166 Posts
You can buy a special tool from honda dealership for holding the crank pully, large hex shape with a handle. You can see your crank pully also has a hex shape, so use the tool hold the pully, you can get a long bar to turn the bolt.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awesome ill get around and try those things, hopfully something works :/

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You can make a pulley clamp. I did using a piece of 2x4, a piece of 2x2, and a couple of 3/8 x 10" bolts & nuts & washers. (9" bolts would have been better, but Lowes doesn't carry them; the longer bolts prevented me from using a socket wrench to tighten the nuts.)

Just lay out the pieces of wood a few inches apart, and trace an appropriately-sized circle on them (same diameter as the pulley). Be sure there's at least an inch of wood left that won't be cut out. Drill a couple of holes on either side for the bolts to go through (hint: try to keep the hole shafts as parallel as possible; otherwise the clamp won't go together easily). Then coat the inside of the circle cut-out with something sticky, like contact cement (or else the pulley will slip).

Here's a picture:

I used a short piece of wood to fit in the engine compartment. If your engine is out, use a long piece of wood to get the needed leverage.

·
Registered
96 hatch
593 Posts
i have a 1.5 ft long ratchet with another 1.5ft lever on it, so 3 ft of leverage. i put the biggest screw driver that would fit into one of the holes in the flywheel and cranked it till it jammed itself against the engine stand so the crank wouldn't turn. than put all my weight on it so it breaks loose (it's on with about 15x. lbs of torque).
works everytime then just work the pully off the crank, try wobbleing it off.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^ when i did that, i busted like 3 of the holes out trying to get my bolt undone, i ended up taking my motor to my dads shop and he zipped it right off. he has like 150 to 200 psi line for a 1" air gun, ment for big rigs. worked great

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Moroso crank pulley tool. About $70.00 dollars from summit. A little pricy but if you plan on doing the Honda thing for a while, well worth the inital price.

Blk95ex

That thing has saved my ass a couple of times.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would have done the screwdriver-in-the-flywheel trick, but for the life of me I couldn't remove the lower starter bolt. Seems like you need an extension long enough to clear the starter, but short enough to not hit the engine bracket. (This is with the engine in the car, of course.)

The homemade clamp worked pretty well. My 1/2" breaker-bar is 14" long, and a 3 foot piece of iron pipe over that gave me the leverage I needed. I did need to put a piece of wood under the end of the 12" + 6" extensions so that the force was directed properly.

The clamp only costed me $3 in hardware, plus some scrap wood I had lying around.

·
Registered
75 Posts
if i have the motor out i usually just stick an allen wrench through one of the pressure plate bolt holes (obviously you have to remove the bolt) the allen wrench should go in far enough to go into one of the pockets in the block to keep the flywheel from spinning. just dont be stupid and put it through the block into a water pocket lol

·
Registered
946 Posts
imo,
jamming it with something like an allen wrench or screw driver,
will just break things(the wrench or what it's jammed against).

if you have the engine OUT it should really not be too tough.
All you have to do is get two long wrenches, one for the flywheel, the other for the crank,
put em both on at the same time.
put the engine on the ground,
now turn the crank end until the fw wrench hits the ground, this way it'll be jammed stuck on the ground.
now you can go to work on the crank pulley bolt and bust it loose.

you will have to keep the engine from falling over though.
and now that I think of it.. you might want to retorque whichever bolt on the fw you were using to hold the crank.

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
if the pressure plate is off i just use a short piece of chain in one of the pressure plate holes and attach it to the trans bolt. works everytime.:beer:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i've done this many many times.

the flywheel trick works best for me, take off the starter, have someone stick a huge flathead screwdriver to hood the flywheel in place.

then get a breaker bar and start putting some weight onto the bolt, if you still cant get it off, extend the bar.

imo, it's easiest when the motor is still in the car, unless you have an air compressor and tools that can support 150 plus psi.

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
uh you guys know that snap on makes a specific tool for this right..its like 20$..and its called the harmonic balance remover tool..please use the right tool for the right job....
genieus!!!!

·
D-series wise guy
2,858 Posts

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
nope...its for d series honda engine only...!! its a 5 lb piece of metal..
It looks like a hex from lincoln logs that fits inside the pullley..and there is a lip for a breaker bar on it... and a hole in the center..for a counter bar..

·
Registered
75 Posts
rotory20 said:
nope...its for d series honda engine only...!! its a 5 lb piece of metal..
It looks like a hex from lincoln logs that fits inside the pullley..and there is a lip for a breaker bar on it... and a hole in the center..for a counter bar..
show me where you can get it from snap on for 20 dollars. and are you going to buy it for me? also, it is spelled genius.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts