Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Shoot me!
2000 hatchback
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trying like all living hell to get this crank pulley bolt out this afternoon and nothing but rat tat tat tat from the air gun. I have a strong 1/2 inch gun pushing like 600lbsft and 33 gallon 6hp compressor and cant budge it anybody have a good way to get this bolt out? I'm doing a mini me swap y7 block y8 head and i just want to replace oil pump, water pump, tensior pulley and timing belt but just cant get this frigen bolt out. cant do any of this shit without getting this pulley off. ANY SUGGESTION THANKS

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've never taken my crank bolt off, but you can try the method I used to remove the PS and alternator pulleys. I've also read a tutorial that says this has worked on crank bolts, but I've never tried it. Get an old V-belt and wrap it around the crank pulley. Next take a chain vise grip and fasten it onto the belt. I'm not sure how many ft-lbs of torque it'll hold before it slips, but it's worth a try.

Patrick
97 Civic LX

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
Time for the Torch!! Heat that bastard up it will come off. BTW your puny Campelfield impact wont do it. Get an Ingersol Rand :)

·
This one's for you, Duck.
Wait, what?
2,304 Posts
You can always try the breaker bar from hell technique. :twisted: My buddy has a 3' bar and then we slip a 6' piece of aluminum square tubing over that. Nothing has stood in our way since then :lol:

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
you could try a using a floor jack with a wooden block, jack it up under the pulley just enough to get the weight on it, then push like hell on that breaker bar. it's torqued to 134 ft/lbs, so you can't be a puss about it! haha

·
Registered
432 Posts
sometimes those fuckers are mean...... thick towel Or a flat belt and a big pipe wrench will usually do the trick.........

Those things are wierd sometimes.....I Put the nut on with an air gun....But 5 minutes later The air gun wouldn't take it off

just be carefull not to Fuck the "harmonic ballancer" Up........

B

·
0 Posts
to get mine off, I got extensions for the socket so it would clear out past the fender, then I propt the socket wrench on a jack stand and put a 6ft piece of pipe over it in a cheater bar fashion, with a little force it came right out

·
Registered
92 EH2
439 Posts
if you dont mind a little more work, most cars have a shield on the bottom. take that out and wedge something strong inthere to stop the crank from spinning and get your b-bar and break it off that way. Ive done it that way for along time and also threw the starter if Im at home doing some shadetree mechanics.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i had one that wouldnt come off regardless of what i tried, torch, 4ft breaker bar with my 180lbs ass standing on it, 1/2" impact, all of them useless! so i took it to my local hole-in-the-wall honda shop and he popped it off in 5 seconds with a beefy 3/4" badass impact.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I did this a couple of month ago_On the cranck pulley there's holes around.Just put 2 screws on the holes adn put a bar across and underneed of the frame and crank loose the MF.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I had to use a BIG ass air gun to loosen mine.
Tried a medium sized one first, but it didn't do anything...
Then I used the biggest one, and it was off in a second.

·
Registered
475 Posts
i got mine off with 500ft lb fun 32gallon ect ect something similar. tried for a full day. you may have tried but put it on TIGHTENING...hit it twice with TIGHTENING then hit it twice with loosening and just repeat those steps it will break off. goodluck

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
or you can just get the harmonic pulley remover tool from snap on for like 30$..
hmmmm and have it again for jic purposes...

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
my 220 pound ass on a 4' breaker wouldn't budge my A6's bolt. I used an iron alen wrench to hold the flywheel in place and just reefed on the damn thing for hours. Finally got it off after putting some wd40 and my 160 pound brother on the breaker bar also.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts