Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
93 civic cx cdm
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im doing a timing belt + water pump replacement and i need to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt. im doing this on a 93 cx hatch d15b7 and have a few questions about it:

1-crank pulley bolt size?

2-by using an impact gun, do i need to block the engine from turning? i heard that u need to block the engine from turning when using the breaker bar method... does this apply for impact?

3-im going to use a 450ft-lb peak torque impact, should this be enough?

thanks in advance!

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,471 Posts
1) I believe its a 19mm.....google will confirm/deny
2) better to be safe than sorry.
3) probably not.

I know what I wrote, let him use his google fu guys

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,459 Posts
450 ft/lbs impact is useless without proper air supply

Some are 17mm, some are 19mm. A black (impact) six point socket is needed.

My cheap $40 impact hasn't failed me yet but PB Blaster or Kroil is your friend as well as the two hammer double tap method to break the corrosion lose.

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,226 Posts
An impact is a bad idea, since it's also hammering your rod bearings. Unless it's fixed rigidly enough to keep movement below 0.001" either way, which will be impossible.

In the last 2 years I've had to take off a few F22/H22 pulleys, which use 186lb/ft instead of 136lb/ft like a d-series. I was able to remove them w/o much problem with nothing more than 3-ton jacks, a breaker bar (with 3ft cheater bar), and keeping the crank from moving (screwdriver thru flywheel hole or special Honda crank holder). The key is using a breaker/cheater/socket that doesn't flex much.

Also when you put it back on, FOLLOW THE SERVICE MANUAL! It is crucial you follow the steps exactly. Many people just toss it back on with an impact, and I'm certain that is the reason for most of the cranks that fall off. It needs a specific torque value AND certain parts of the bolt/washer lubed and left lube-free.

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
I can understand what Hiiprofile means... But the hammering is minimal from an impact... It's actually a pulling effect going on if anything.

However, some H-T thread said fill a cylinder with string of some sorts THEN crack the crank bolt. THAT is putting pressure on the rod bolts.

So really, impact is just weight of rod+piston assembly and friction of cylinder wall to piston/rings and compression resistance if plugs are in. All minimal if it's not even 30 degrees of motion.

I use the same method as Hiiprofile with the honda crank pulley tool. And 3ft cheater.

But my B20s have been a damn HASSLE. So I had to borrow a Snap-on impact...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Many times with a stubborn crank bolt, I've had to lock the engine in place via an open end wrench and the flywheel. This method works great on crank bolts, especially with a cheater bar.
"Give me a lever and a place to stand and I will move the earth." -Archimedes

Sometime you don't want to take the transmission off to do this. I've been in scenarios where I had to remove either a crank bolt with an impact gun, or worse a flywheel nut from a rotary engine. Even with a five foot bar the nut wouldn't move and I ended up breaking the bolt hole for the flywheel locking tool. But you know what did work? This:

This gun will make stubborn nuts and bolts come off like they were on finger tight. It's also cheap from Harbor Freight and surprisingly not a complete piece of junk. Thanks for the tip, Archimedes, but I'm going to stick with the big guns for tough jobs. Why work hard when you can something something something the rest of that quote?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,459 Posts
I can understand what Hiiprofile means... But the hammering is minimal from an impact... It's actually a pulling effect going on if anything.

However, some H-T thread said fill a cylinder with string of some sorts THEN crack the crank bolt. THAT is putting pressure on the rod bolts.

So really, impact is just weight of rod+piston assembly and friction of cylinder wall to piston/rings and compression resistance if plugs are in. All minimal if it's not even 30 degrees of motion.

I use the same method as Hiiprofile with the honda crank pulley tool. And 3ft cheater.

But my B20s have been a damn HASSLE. So I had to borrow a Snap-on impact...
No pressure on the rod bolts AT ALL with the rope trick....

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Im soo glad I had my buddies shop available to do all my impact needs.

Snap-On cordless impact worked great

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Had to use my friend's 1" IR on my stubborn Z6 crank pulley bolts. 1000+ ft lbs. Nothing else worked, even my friend's own 3/4" impact failed.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,459 Posts
Had to use my friend's 1" IR on my stubborn Z6 crank pulley bolts. 1000+ ft lbs. Nothing else worked, even my friend's own 3/4" impact failed.
all in the air supply!

Try running 300 whp turbo setup through stock DX exhaust/muffler and see what happens.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,459 Posts

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
all the crank pulley bolts i work on came off without to much trouble.
crank pulley holder
Got some long 1/2inch bars.
1/2 breaker bar (all the ratchet ones would slip)
jack bar
and 19mm impact socket.

Put all my weight on the bar and they all have came lose.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,459 Posts
Bone is on it again.

A 3/4" impact "should" work but it does indeed depend on your line size, pressure, and fitting size.
My $40 Campbell Hausfield rocked with the upgraded fittings, but I went back to the normal ones and put the bigger fittings on the IR impact as seen in the pic, it is quieter. I was disappointed when I bought it, almost $200 IIRC and wasn't any better than the $40 busted old impact.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
harbor freight $75 earthquake 1/2" impact has never failed. it also has surpassed older snap-on and mac impacts, and Ive thrown it across the shop several times while working on GMs and the fucker still keeps trucking on.

Has broken free several honda crank bolts.

100psi, unknown capacity or fitting sizes. cheapo harbor frieght connectors work with the setup.

EDIT axle nuts are my bitches with this impact. I dont even bother spraying JB80 on the threads anymore unless I am concerned about accidentally ripping threads off

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,459 Posts
harbor freight $75 earthquake 1/2" impact has never failed. it also has surpassed older snap-on and mac impacts, and Ive thrown it across the shop several times while working on GMs and the fucker still keeps trucking on.

Has broken free several honda crank bolts.

100psi, unknown capacity or fitting sizes. cheapo harbor frieght connectors work with the setup.

EDIT axle nuts are my bitches with this impact. I dont even bother spraying JB80 on the threads anymore unless I am concerned about accidentally ripping threads off
I was "kidnapped" once to go help get a crank pulley bolt lose on a del Sol. Eddie later became a Honda Technician.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts