Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Civic DX Hatch
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Good morning everyone
I am trying to track down if I can extend the harness on a CDI unit.

I recently purchased a Crane Cams HI-6 ignition box and coil. I wanted to mount the box under the passenger seat out of the way and away from heat and water, but I have not been able to track down whether or not it is detrimental to extend the harness or not.

Does anyone have some information on this?

·
Registered
Black/Green Civic HB
753 Posts
I'm not sure on a harness, but as long as you extend the wires and use the right size wire ( soider and heat shrink it) you shouldn't have any problems.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
If it is like a factory harness then you can de-pin the connectors and use longer wires and the stock pins and put it all back together. Just a thought. This prevents splicing the harness.

·
Registered
1992 Civic DX Hatch
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never found anything on line, but I did come across a tech help phone number and someone actually answered it. Bottom line the guy said it was OK to extended the harness.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1992 Civic DX Hatch
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, I had a lot of those same thoughts, and after a conversation with the Crane tech rep I decided to give it a shot. Crane recommends that the unit be placed inside the car. The wires are only about 3 feet longer than if I mounted it on the firewall. I am using some removed double strand aircraft wiring that is made to contain 115V AC at 400htz it has a 1000V capability. Each strand in the bundle is individually insulated, then the two strands are insulated in a Teflon like tube, then it has another insulation , then a braided shield and then finally an outer Teflon insulation. this should give me the best chance to keep the noise down. Plus under the seat is farther away from the ECU.

In aircraft they run this kind of wiring in bundles right next to each other. In some incidences ECU and ignition wiring right next to each other. I have high hopes that it will work out.

I can always move the unit if I have issues.

·
Registered
1992 Civic DX Hatch
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know there is a lot of debate in the Honda world that the stk ignition system is good two 400hp, but is that the best way to do it. I am sure you can get to 400 hp with stk ignition, but my experience tells me that the torque curve will not be near as good, and the overall HP with the CDI system will be even more. Also the engine will run more efficient. The more efficient your engine runs the more overall power all your mods will make.

It is kind of like the difference between a cast turbo manifold and a good custom stainless steel manifold with a proper choke on the collector. Yes the cast manifold will make 600hp, but it will never match the response that the stainless steel manifold will do, and we are not even talking about the terminal characteristics of the stainless.

·
Registered
1992 Civic DX Hatch
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok. You have a clue. It sounds like you aren't going to be putting this together by twisting crap speaker wire together and "securing"it with tape. Heh.
that is funny, but I guess there are a lot of people that surf these forms that do not know.

Only been messing with Honda a few years, but I have been playying with cars and aircraft, and this is going to give my age away for about 30 years. But I must say electronics is not my best tallent, I have a long way to go with learning to tune.

I am looking for some suggestions on spark plug wires, Crane suggest wires with no more than 800ohs per foot.
I was thinking NGK but I think they are in the 2000 ohm per foot range. Taylor makes one that is the 500ohms per foot range that cost about $60 but I have no experiance with their wires.

·
Registered
1992 Civic DX Hatch
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I purchased a set over the weekend. There where no suggestions to this thread. I did a bunch of research and decided on a set of wires from Taylor. should be here early this week. I will let you guys know what I think. I have never used them before, my prior experience has been with Jacobs they were very popular in the 4x4 world.

·
Registered
1992 Civic DX Hatch
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
by the way it is all installed and it appears to be working good, with the factory wires. no noise or misfires. we will see what happens with the Taylor wires, I cannot imagine them having the same kind of EMI suppression of factory wires.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts