Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
cracked wheel now with pics

i have konig verdict 17x7" wheels.. the front pass side wheel has a small damn crack in it now..., there is no sign that anything hit the rim to make it crack.. not even the pain it scuffed where the crack is.. its small like an inch long and a very thin crack on the back of the wheel where the bead of the tire is... the tire goes flat every 4-5 hours.. i just emialed konig so im waiting to hear from them and discount tire said its not covered but the paint is..lol

question is

should i get it welded?

a rim place said 120 to fix it or should i just go to a guy who welds aluminum and get it done cheaper and just smooth it down myself

what do you think...

thanks.....

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i just got an email from konig.. they said if it is actually a defect wheel they will replace it.. hopefully they wont screw me over... i have a spare wheel but the paint on the wheel is kinda messed up.. i think i might just sandblast the 4 wheels that i have that are good and get them sprayed bronze.. and the cracked wheel i will just have welded up for a spare... unless konig replaces my wheel which i think they will... well i hope.

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
yeah, i guess see what konig says, and if they will do that for you, you're golden, but if they don't, go with your plan. because it's a lot better than having a donut as a spare wheel.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
ive seen a lot of wheels that have been welded from the back. they're hard to balance, but if its welded correctly it can be very strong. id say that the sandblasting idea is pretty cool. i loke bronze wheels a lot. you can always hang the broke one on the wall in your shop as a decoration.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i just posted pics in the first post... and i went to discount tire today where i got them from and they were talking all kinds of bull to me.. i almost killed the guy he was talking to me like i was stupid.. im goin somewhere else to get another opinion.. my friend has a friend who has a tire shop.. ill see what he says.. if he says go for a warranty then i will if not then fuck it.. ill trust him cause he has nothing in it just a professional opinion... rim does look fucked up though.. oh and i didnt tell you, when i cleaned up the wheel i didnt find one crack or 2 cracks but i found 3 yes three cracks..look in the pics and tell me what you think...

·
Registered
428 Posts
maybe you shouldnt drive on a cracked wheel. it is most likely your fault, due to hitting potholes and other things. if you have driven on the tire while it has been cracked most likely the tire is shot too, especially if it is unilateral direction tread.

·
Registered
428 Posts
with such a small profile tire the wheel flexes rather than the tire. this is why they have larger profile tires on the stock wheels. the tire is supposed to flex, not the wheel

·
Ikillyoutillyoudiefromit
07 Si Sedan
389 Posts
I've had a konig wheel crack too. It was completely my fault though... I hit a pot hole doing 35mph. When I hit it, I knew I screwed something up. The crack in my wheel looked exactly the same as yours does. I only had one crack though not 3. Kyle is right about the tire and wheel flex thing. If your car is lowered, it's even worse, so it's entirely possible that it isn't a defect, although 3 cracks is slightly suspicious...JB Weld it dude!

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
we had a guy come into our shop with his turbo wrx that had a broken rota 17". he called rota about it and they said they wouldnt warranty it because it was his fault and that the rim shouldnt have broke. he ended up breaking all four because he autocrosses and is hella hard on the wheels, so rota said that maybe it was a bad design since he broke all four. he ended up getting a full new set, he just had to send in his old ones to them. i dont know, try getting them to warranty it, probably your best option is getting a new wheel

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i just got an email from konig... they said no way they wil warranty it.. the wheel looks perfectally round in the picture but the guy said in the email it looks so bent in the picture and the warranty is void... fuck that shit... guess what wheels im not gonna buy next time.. i wonder if i can change my name on this web site and keep my post count... fuck konig.. i dont even hit big potholes... looks like im gonna have a crash coarse in welding aluminum... my friend just gave me some welding rods for a arc welder for aluminum... ill post pics of how it comes out...

·
Registered
428 Posts
how about you dont drive on that wheel. if you dont know what you are doing you will turn that wheel into a puddle. aluminum isnt easy to weld with. unless it was a professional, someone who knows what they are doing because they have done it before, i wouldnt get in that car if my feeble life depended on it, let me see pictures when you wreck the car into something and total it

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
konigcivic said:
i wonder if i can change my name on this web site and keep my post count... fuck konig...
ask an mod/admin nicely they can do it, one changed my name to ryan240sx for day when i joked about being called that :wink:
kyle said:
how about you dont drive on that wheel.
probably because it wont hold air. all the ones that i have worked on that were cracked leaked like a summbitch

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kyle said:
i wouldnt get in that car if my feeble life depended on it, let me see pictures when you wreck the car into something and total it
real fucking nice kyle .... keep your stupid comments to yourself... and im not driving on the wheel.. all my rims are off... the one i weld if it comes out good will be a spare not my main wheel... my spare wheel now is all scratched up.. i just sanded it down and painted it bronze.. it looks good so im gonna do it to the other 3... and if the one i weld looks like shit well its just goin on the wall in the garage...

·
Registered
428 Posts
no i mean after you weld it i wouldnt drive on it to save my life, i had a professional fix one of my wheels 2 years ago. 1 month after having it done my tire went flat on the highway , in the rain , and smoked a guard rail. like i said i wouldnt drive on it

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh ok man it sounded like you wanted me to crash or something... that got me pissed off.. but you were just saying what happened to you.. ill see how it comes out but now im painting the 4 good wheels bronze... i might not even ever use the cracked wheel again.. i have been asking around and i hear aluminum is really hard to weld.. since it will be my first time ill probably melt that shit... and it does have 3 cracks i kinda dont want to use it again even if its welded..ill bet its just going to end up on the wall of the garage for something to look at...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts