Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago, I started to notice that my exhaust was sounding different, almost like it was running on three cylinders or misfiring. I also noticed that my catch can was pushing out some smoke and some oil (but can was empty). The setup is a vitara/fjt rod d16y8 with the edelbrock turbo kit.

So I decided to not drive the car since. I did some research and found that some cars show the same symptoms when they have a cracked ringland. Has anyone experienced anything similar? It sucks not having a car and I have been waiting for a leak-down tester to do more troubleshooting. I did do a compression test though, results below. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should look out for or check out?

Here are the compression test numbers:
cylinder__w/o oil____w/oil
1_______165______180
2_______160*_____175
3_______170______180
4_______175______185

*(low compression on first stroke then gradually increased when I did the test without oil)

Thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
Numbers look fine (less than 10% variance), but symptoms are similar to when I broke ring lands.

Catch can smoking, ESPECIALLY on start up (like I could see it coming out the hood).
Sounds like ass/not running on all cyls.
Spooling slow as fuck, way down on power.

Not driving the car is the BEST decision you can make. If you're lucky the bores will be alright and you can just toss in another set of pistons.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
What do the spark plugs look like.

·
Registered
92 Civic Hatch
1,757 Posts
Yup, your numbers are fine.
Does it sound different, or does it sound like a WRX? if it sounds like a WRX you have a missfire lol you can always try removing each plug wire while its running and see if you have a problem that way.
and also check your plugs, see if they have any oil on them.
How does the oil itself look?

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
Cracked ringlands don't always sound like a Subaru. My stock a6 motor was just smoking like crazy when I got on it, but ran great so I didn't think anything of it. When I tore it apart to rebuild it, every single piston had cracked lands.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
We don't know that he has cracked lands, we only know he is blowing somw sort of fumes out the breather and it has a different exhaust note.

We also know that compression readings while not perfect are OK.

The only reason we are discussing ring lands instead of possible causes of the symptoms is because the OP suggested it based on no where near enough data.

We need to know if the plugs look normal or not. If not, how so.

Removing one lead only at a time is also a good idea.

This could be as simple as a leaky exhaust and cold weather making fumes more visible

·
Registered
1992 cx, 1995 dx
983 Posts

·
Registered
1992 cx, 1995 dx
983 Posts
Also it smoked like crazy under boost but I can prob blame that on the turbo going out to. I had oil in cylinders 1,3,4 in the exhaust ports and intake she burnt alot of oil that day and I pulled 200psi on each cylinder. Shoulda used the leak down tester I had.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
first off, thanks for all the input; I'll have to try some of the things mentioned.
And sorry to be such an idiot, but what exactly would I be able to tell from pulling off a plug wire while the car is running?
The distributor has new OEM Honda ignitor, coil, rotor, cap, and wires.

I actually got a leak down tester and noted these results:

Cylinder____leakage
1__________9.4%
2_________12.2%
3_________10.5%
4__________6.7%

Oil looks brown, but usually gets pretty dark when I change it after 2500 miles.

As far as the spark plugs, there was some oil on them and here are some pictures: (I removed these plugs after I noticed the change in the exhaust sound, thinking that the burns on the plugs were causing my problem but even with new colder plugs I still have the problem, but I havent driven it with the new plugs, just let it idle).

Attachments

·
Registered
685 Posts
take a good flash light and look down into the spark plug holes. if you can see oil inside then ya you're leaking oil. if its carbon black down there, then your probably fine.

my #1 recently failed at the oil rings. i was able to see oil in the plug hole with a good flash light.

also are you missing any oil or smoke at start up after the car has been sitting over night?

·
Registered
1992 cx, 1995 dx
983 Posts
I HAD OIL ON PISTON 4 pretty good and my plugs looked fine. Also do your radiator cap have alot of pressure on it?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Were you running the kit on it's intended boost level or did you actually turned up the boost and had a custom tune?

And like others have stated, those numbers don't look too bad they are pretty consistent. I remember when my buddy had cracked ringlands everything sounded the same, but when he came on to a red light it was smoking out of his exhaust so bad it looked like he was doing a burnout since the breeze kept blowing the smoke towards the front of the car.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am running the kit at 8 psi, one or two above the original level but it is on a basemap and I actually haven't hit boost in a while since I have been trying to keep it safe before I can afford to head to the dyno.

The car does smoke after I let it sit over night but I thought that since it was smoking white after a cold start up that it was just burning off the condensation that was building up in the exhaust over the cold nights.

Are the pictures of the plugs ok? Sorry, I don't have a better camera. I can try again if they are too blurry.

I'll have to take a flash light to the pistons to see if I have oil on them.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I am running the kit at 8 psi, one or two above the original level but it is on a basemap and I actually haven't hit boost in a while since I have been trying to keep it safe before I can afford to head to the dyno.

The car does smoke after I let it sit over night but I thought that since it was smoking white after a cold start up that it was just burning off the condensation that was building up in the exhaust over the cold nights.

Are the pictures of the plugs ok? Sorry, I don't have a better camera. I can try again if they are too blurry.

I'll have to take a flash light to the pistons to see if I have oil on them.
What fuel management system are you using? Crome? Hondata? Usually if the car smokes after sitting overnight it's usually an indication of bad valve seals/guides. Take a flashlight and look into the cylinders and see if there are any wet oil spots on top of the pistons.

The plugs look normal to me, but without high res close ups can't really tell.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Plugs look OK to me.

The idea of pulling one wire at a time is that if it bis firing on a plug and you pull that lead, the engine will slow down, but if it was not firing, the engine speed does not change.

Only do it momentarily as a disconnected plug lead can damage the ignition as voltage builds up and has no where to go.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Also leak down looks OK.

My money is on a leaky exhaust flange

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Another thought is a leaky injector. Is there a smell of petrol in the blow by.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts