Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Aftermarket pistons seem to use a diff 'thickness'. Id contact CP, they usually run ~$100ish a set

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Yeah, you're best bet is to use the manufacturer's set of rings. I had the same question about my SRP pistons...and in the end I just dropped the $105 on the SRP/JE set.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
Yeah, you're best bet is to use the manufacturer's set of rings. I had the same question about my SRP pistons...and in the end I just dropped the $105 on the SRP/JE set.
I run Hastings with my SRPs.

SRP is nice enough to give you full ring dimensions, and Hastings has a good cross reference of ring size. Just so happens that stock y series rings are same dimensions as SRP rings.

·
Registered
too many
1,582 Posts
Contact CP about rings, they don't list ring thickness' anywhere so you are going to need to ask them about specs. Chances are you are going to need to run CP rings.
Isn't CP owned by the same conglomerate as Wiseco and SRP/JE?

Maybe, maybe not but if you get ring specs you can source other options.

·
Formerly weebeastie
936 Posts
CP-Carrillo. And as far as the rings go, you'll have to run CP's ring pack because the second ring is beveled to scrape oil back down the cylinder wall and the first ring is a different thickness. I have been running CP's for 3 years now. We have used Hastings rings with SRP pistons before and assumed that because Hastings offered a set of rings that were the proper dimensions for the CP's (non stock thickness 1st ring) that they would work properly. However they do not seal properly because the oil rings are so low tension that they require the beveled 2nd ring. If you don't use the CP ring pack I can guarantee that it will smoke a bit (THIS IS ANNOYING!)

Good luck with the build, I definitely suggest spending the $100 to buy a set of CP rings for your pistons.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I run Hastings with my SRPs.

SRP is nice enough to give you full ring dimensions, and Hastings has a good cross reference of ring size. Just so happens that stock y series rings are same dimensions as SRP rings.
Yep, I looked at that...and in fact at one point I had a set I was going to use with them. But I figured that what better to run with the SRP/JE piston than the rings designed for that piston.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
.0035 is what I had for my SRPs...also a forged piston. Worked great! Never burnt oil or had ANY oil in my catch can.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Well that was nice of them to give you the dimensions; now technically you can use whatever rings you want that fit.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
was thinking about going with total seals if i can find someone who sells them
Total Seal is good, they're want I used on the SRP/JE pistons for my built motor. After 10 mintues of break-in on the road I never burned oil nor smoked. They're great in my book.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts