Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a cowl induction hood for their turbo setup? A friend of mine did his on an 86' Integra just because he's a weird guy and wanted to cut a hole in his hood and make it be different :) He also put a "scoop" on his roof (like I said, kinda weird guy). Anyway... what I did notice is that his engine termerature stayed extremely low when driving.

This isn't really a good thing per-se with a totally stock engine like his since it may run too cold. But with a turbo wouldn't this help pull air over the Intake Manifold to cool it down? Perhaps even encourage more cool airflow to come up and across the air filter.

Comments?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
this is a very debated topic; some think it help a little, some think it jsut looks cool (the DIY cowl-style), some think it looks stoopid, some think it actually make the e-bay hotter... I think he should jsut do what he wants... The air filter placemnt is gonna matter that much if he has a FMIC...

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
Hmm, most people don't do a cowl hoot, but instead put washers on their hood to raise the back of it up. This also opens the sides a little, and thats the only topic I've heard talked about. It sounds like you are describing an actual cowl hood like you would see on an old camero, right?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, most people don't do a cowl hoot, but instead put washers on their hood to raise the back of it up. This also opens the sides a little, and thats the only topic I've heard talked about. It sounds like you are describing an actual cowl hood like you would see on an old camero, right?
Right, I am describing an actual cowl hood. That is what my friend "made" on his Acura. His engine temperature dropped significantly on the gauge... it was actually TOO cold since his engine was bone stock.

My thought was that it MAY be useful to drop intake manifold temps on a forced induction setup. Seems that it is debatable from the posts I've seen so far.

I'm debating whether I want to do it or not due to the looks factor... I don't want to look like rice. But, then again, I wouldn't really consider it rice if it actually did something for performance and I could do it somewhat low-key.

·
Administrator
93 cx hatch
16,376 Posts
IMO.... it will look like rice.
im gogin to have to agree.. i dont think there is really any way you can adapt a scoop to a civic to look good... and your talking more like a scoop.. not a cowl right? because a cowl wouldnt do much except get in the line of vision onour cars imo

im considering the whole tilting up the rear of the hood things when i throw my turbo on

·
Registered
56 Posts
IMO, a cowl hood would be mostly for looks. The drag on these cars is so low, it'd be tough to find a good low pressure area to pull air from (ram air at the front is the closest to this concept).

Yeah you can get 1hp per 10deg. of temp. drop, & pressure adds more.

Best thing for a turbo is a liquid intercooler, air-to-air comes in 2nd.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
i have the washers on the back of my hood-not very bif ones, mayeb an ich of lift total..i have e/i/h and a few other things on my car and i noticed a small difference in the temp on the gauge, but other than that there wasn't anything

·
Registered
510 Posts
Considering the temps that turbos reach I don't think a cowl hood will make much of a difference.

If you want a cooler intake charge get an intercooler.

If you want your engine to run colder change your thermostat and make sure your radiator is up to par.

Cowl hood is just for clearance/looks.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
That exact hood is almost 8 years old, you can get a mimic of off of ebay or from VIS.
That hood looks pretty sweet...not to practical for a dd in michigan though...I'm thinking about doing the hood tilt on my car...i personally like the way it looks...

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
also it allows high pressure stuck under the car to vent out the hood too. Same idea with a rear bumper that has holes or cut up. High pressure slows ya down.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts