Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...hopefully someone can answer this for me.
I have everything needed to get my car running again in except the vtec solenoid I bought was delayed in shipping from Florida earlier this week by the hurricane.
I would like to be able to finish putting it together and get it fired and timed this weekend while I have the time so I can slap the vtec solenoid in and go when it gets here Monday. I get home from work pretty late and dont have a garage so I dont have much time during the week so if I dont do the timing during the weekend I'll probably have to wait another week to get the car back on the road.

I saw a pic once on here of a motor with a steel plate over the spot where the solenoid mounts in.
I was wondering if anyone actually knows that this is ok.
I can certainly fab up a plate to cover it up and minimize oil leakage while I set the timing and get everything else done. Will it starve another part of the engine of oil, or is it just fine?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a very long commute and am spending over $220 a week driving my truck to work...with the car its more like $65...if I can have this thing going Tuesday by doing everything but the solenoid this weekend it saves me alot of money since I wouldnt be able to mess with the timing until next weekend...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im not a complete idiot or a kid. I know my way around a motor pretty well. I'm just new to Hondas and not sure about the oil flow through the solenoid area. What I was saying is if I couldn't plug that up and finish everything else over the weekend I wouldn't have time to do it until next weekend, so I'm trying to figure out how to fire this car up without that solenoid on. Bascially I'm looking for someone who knows the oil flow through the head (y8) well enough that they can tell me if the oil flow after it goes through the solenoid is important to that end of the head or if it just returns. If it just returns, obviously I can just bolt a plate on the spot on the head where the sol. mounts to keep it from blowing out and work on the car as normal until I get home Monday when the Sol. will be waiting for me and I can slap it on real quick.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
You could just plate over it...but again I as well would suggest waiting or check your local forums for someone with one local to you.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I saw a pic once on here of a motor with a steel plate over the spot where the solenoid mounts in.
I was wondering if anyone actually knows that this is ok.
I can certainly fab up a plate to cover it up and minimize oil leakage while I set the timing and get everything else done. Will it starve another part of the engine of oil, or is it just fine?
where is said pic of the plate is this it

if so look at these threads 1 2
From what I understand, that plate is used to block off the mechanical fuel pump not a vtec solenoid. If I am not mistaken ( it has been awhile since i took mine off) but doesn't the solenoid have three oil ports on it one on top and bottom and one in the middle with a screen? So that makes me think that it returns the oil when not engaged so you would have to incorporate that into your block off plate. Iike mentioned before it would be too much trouble. I would wait. It is not worth grenading your engine because you cut a corner due to impatience.

·
Registered
05 Legacy GT
867 Posts
I would not run the with a plate blocking off the solinoid. I have asked some people who know Hondas inside out and they coudn't give me a firm answer that it was OK. I'n thinking there is a bypass for the oil to return when your not in vtec.

I say Don't do it.

We had vtec locked open on the race head and still run the solinoid.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
where is said pic of the plate is this it
No definitely not it.
Like I said I was just feeling for if someone actaully knew if it was fine. Since noone knows specifically I certainly wouldn't do it.
Wish I could find another solenoid locally, but no Y8s in any of the salvage yards around here. Oh well..waste more gas with the truck this week. Thanks.

·
Registered
05 Legacy GT
867 Posts
Oh well..waste more gas with the truck this week. Thanks.

I feel your pain. I'm driving my 97 Suburban while my Subbie has been in the shop since last Monday, I should have it back this coming Thrusday. Hey the Sub gets 15mpg on a great day...down hill with a tail wind.

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
That doesn't look like a vtec head, that looks like a carbed d15/d16 non-vtec head, the fuel pump goes there.

edit: read more after posting...Thought the OP was posting pics of his motor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts