Yeah it was low on oil when I checked it (about 1/3 between the min/max), it's been burning it. It was probably much worse looking before I got to it. Since I have changed it about 4 times within 5k miles.
As for the transmission fluid, probably 20 years ago. But since I am replacing the transmission soon its slightly moot at this point. Going from a Y7 slushbox to a S40 B000.
I kind of screwed up cleaning my original cover so I went and grabbed one I could get off (it's cold and most are iced on right now, or other issues) from the pick and pull near me (no sols or manuals sadly). Unfortunately it had some nasty paint on it, so I went about trying to clean it off.
The one on top is my original, unfortunately I used a lye based cleaner and it mostly turned black and got a few white streaks in locations. Some heavy scrubbing got some silver to appear but it was very time consuming. Still working on how to fix that. The other one seems to be lacking a few mounting posts. Also I don't (yet) have a vtec head on the car, which I consider another issue with using it.
The second image is the interior of each, in the same positions.
Let me know if you have any advice on cleaning these more. I am going to use more more paint thinner on the vtec one, see if I can coax more of that paint off without scraping.
I have new gaskets, so leaving these ones on for now despite the cleaning doesn't bother me since I checked my original, and the metal looks prestine under them, so no need to clean there.
Cleaned up the vtec cover some. The paint came off with a little scrubbing, more is needed, as whoever originally painted it did not properly seal off most of the inner spaces. The interior on the other hand is very clean after just a few sprays of purple power and a light brushing, I could clean around the rivets some more but it is otherwise done on the inside.
I went at the normal cover as well, and a 2 hour arm numbing soak in a bucket of elbow grease showed me that it is possible to get it clean again, but will need a whole lot more work. Going to get some aluminum etch solution and some fine brass wire wheels to try and break through the rest of it. I cleaned up the interior here as well, but it isn't in as good of condition as the other one, it will need more work as well.
I wonder if I really need to get this oxidation off before painting it. But I figure it is better safe than very very sorry. I figure I will end up painting both of these with a red wrinkle coat.
So got a fine bristle brass brush for the drill, went at it for an hour, then got out my rotary and went at it for another hour or two to get the rest off. Probably could have skipped the brass brush. Still needs some interior work, but I feel the exterior is fine for paint.
Just going to let it dry for a day or so before I actually start painting. I feel I will do 3 coats. A ceramic primer, followed by a white base coat which will be for the lettering, followed by the wrinkle coating.
So after some prepping it by way of rubbing alcohol till the rag came back clean, I sealed parts I wanted to remain unpainted.
The socket adapter is something I ordered by mistake and forgot to return, it fits nothing in my tool box, handily it seems to fit the oil hole perfectly. The bolt holes are covered by some off brand dremel cutting disks I had laying around, and the plug holes are tapped with 30mm washers for solidity. The other holes just have a piece of tape as I plan to scrap those when I am done.
Here I put down my 3 primer coats, I am using duplicolor ceramic engine enamel primer. Click for larger images.
Next after that dried I put down the 3 layers of wrinkle coat (VHT brand). Click for larger images.
Here I removed the socket adapter just to check that everything went well.
Now I am going to wait an hour or two and peal off the rest of the tape and other blockers. Then I will try and heat it lightly to get better wrinkling I think.
P.S. I did get the red, and it is red IRL, but my camera for some reason sees at it as orange.