Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so my oil pump failed on my D16Y8, and I need to rebuild my engine now.

Is there an oil pump that I can replace mine with, that wont completely fail like the Y8's? I heard Z6's were good, but I cant use a dipstick.

If damage on my engine isnt too bad, I plan on getting it machined so its nice and clean, smooth, and all. Whats a good price on this? (my first honda, first time I want to do this)

Next, I need new connecting rods since im sure mine are shot, what would be my best bet to go with? Im on a semi-budget, by the way. (I guess im gonna have to get new rod bearings to be cautious)

I plan on staying N/A for awhile, so I don't know if I should upgrade pistons quite yet, or if I should do it now..

In a couple months I want to get a Crower Stage 2 Cam,

Thank for answering any of my questions guys. :bigok:

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
Alright, so my oil pump failed on my D16Y8, and I need to rebuild my engine now.

Is there an oil pump that I can replace mine with, that wont completely fail like the Y8's? I heard Z6's were good, but I cant use a dipstick.

Buy a new OEM pump and port it, there's a DIY on here about it.

If damage on my engine isnt too bad, I plan on getting it machined so its nice and clean, smooth, and all. Whats a good price on this? (my first honda, first time I want to do this)

Price solely depends on who you take it to, could range from a couple hundred to several hundred.

Next, I need new connecting rods since im sure mine are shot, what would be my best bet to go with? Im on a semi-budget, by the way. (I guess im gonna have to get new rod bearings to be cautious)

OEM connecting rods should be fine if you're wanting to stay NA.

I plan on staying N/A for awhile, so I don't know if I should upgrade pistons quite yet, or if I should do it now..

If you want to upgrade piston's now's the time to do it. There are a few really good NA builds on here now. A lot of people go with P29's but I've heard they can be a headache to tune.

In a couple months I want to get a Crower Stage 2 Cam,

Thank for answering any of my questions guys. :bigok:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot awebb.:)

I do plan on going Forced induction in the future, but i'm not 100% yet

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would the reserch before adding forced induction..
Like I said, i'm not 100% sure I want to do any sort of boost on this one. I might just wait and pickup a hatchy, and boost it.

I can't decide for sure though, for what its worth on my EJ8, it might be cheaper to pickup a new engine instead of rebuilding this one, it seems cheaper to pick one up.

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
if your oil pump 'failed' you probably need a new crankshaft and at least one rod.
good luck...

·
Registered
841 Posts
:jdm:

FIrst time in a honda and now your "JDM"..ppffttt pleeassee

OEM rods and p29 pistons for a semi OEM NA build will be fine, if you got the right tuner then tunning it with the p29's shouldnt matter, if your gonna tear shit apart then you might as well get it cleaned up, pressure checked, replace all gaskets and bearings, and like awebb said, port the oil pump, youd be amazed at what little things can do for you.

But homestly if i was in your shoes i would just try to score a d16z6 and swap every thing over to OBD1 in that ej8 of yours, you wont regret it, but def swap a y8 IM on it, little extra cheap power adder.

But i think i would just do a complete OEM build and do 180-200whp turbo setup, read around, it really isnt that pricey and after all the money youd put in a semi NA build youll regret not doin alittle turbo setup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts