Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. My distributor sounds like it has a small pebble rolling/bouncing around in it at cold startups but goes away after 30 seconds or so. It's an MSD distributor with MSD blaster coil.

2. The car sputters/missfires slightly at light throttle (when cold) for the first few miles but gets better as the engine gets warmer. It also has light random missfires at idle when it's cold which again goes away when the engine is warm.

3. The oil smells lightly of gas but does not seem to be rising up the dipstick and the viscosity doesn't seem to have been reduced much. The setup is dynotuned on a chassis dyno by a good tuner but was tuned to be a tad rich at WOT.

B18B, stock internals, 7psi, 440cc injectors, walboro fuel pump. If you need any more info than that don't hesitate to ask. I know the plugs could stand to be changed which will be done tomorrow, but assuming it doesn't help the problems, what do you guys think it is?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
first and foremost, switch back to stock ignition...honda ignitions are far and beyond what you need...

second, how old is the oil? if it is 3000+ old (as in the smell of it when it is changed) that is normal

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The oil only has 500 miles on it... Oil pressure is still very much in spec though.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
what is your compression? if it is too low you might have a ring leak

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So what you guys are saying is that an OEM dizzy is actually BETTER than an MSD dizzy? I might add I also have the MSD multiple spark discharge pack. I didn't build the setup, I bought it like this btw.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok so that solves my apparent ignition problems. Could finished plugs be causing unburned fuel to get into my oil or is that pretty much piston rings only?

Also, is a 7 series plug too cold for my 230whp setup or am I good?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
that is up to your engine, read your plugs to figure out how cold the plugs need to be.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i gotta say this, i dont understand why import guys (no offence) think that certain types of setups that originated on oldschool muscle actually do anything good for there cars. Second of all, MSD ignition Fing blows....terrible...i have killed so many of em in muscle cars...i dont buy them anymore, at all. definitely go back to original...i suggest japanese over anything, just wish they made stuff for american muscle...

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I'm gonna have that checked this week. What is the ideal compression for a B18B?
i would have to say, ~190 + or - depending on the mileage of the engine, and the greatest difference between all four cylinders should be no more than ~15%

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
i agree with you ek, however i do use an accell ignition coil that was a direct replacement for the original ignition coil...works rather well, however since i didn't and still don't have a dyno available i can't say for sure if it does me anygood...i can vouche for its ability to create multiple sparks per combustion, find that out using a timing light, don't know if it helps out though. otherwise i use 100% stock ignition system, the coil pack was only 50 bucks anyways, so i thought i would give it a shot, anyone else use this ignition coil?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i gotta say this, i dont understand why import guys (no offence) think that certain types of setups that originated on oldschool muscle actually do anything good for there cars.
No worries man, no offense taken. Like I stated above, I'm not the one who built this setup, I personally would have kept the stock dizzy and would never have wasted money on the multiple spark discharge unit but seeing as it came with the setup, I figure I'll keep it until it proves to be a definite problem. Spark plugs first, then we'll see about the dizzy and all that.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
um...i wouldn't say MSD is shit by any means....but yes stock honda ignition is fine for alot of setups.
Ya, I found the criticism to be a little harsh towards MSD considering they are very well recognized in the world of performance automotive. However I have to agree that the money the old owner spent on it was not really worth it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts