Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Which way do the two half moon things face that go between #3 and #4? There are two grooves on each one. Do the grooves face the counterweight or block?

2. When the main cap girdle is off and the connecting rod nuts are not tighten/torqued you can spin the assembly easily with one hand. As soon as you torque the rod nuts down to the proper torque (15 then 23) it becomes difficult or nearly impossible to turn the assembly with one hand. This is by turning the crank pulley by hand. I was told it should rotate easily. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Aaron

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
not sure which way they go but did you put oil on the main bearings before assembling, half moon things thats a new one.hehe

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I did oil everything. Heavily. The head is off. The mains aren't torqued at this point. Just the rod caps.

The half moon things are like spacers on each side of the girdle between 3 and 4. They are under the crank in little recesses in the girdle. Basically on each side of the block side main bearing.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
the grooves face the block.

If they are not installed and you are trying to spin the crank, the fillets on the journals may be binding on the bearings. The crank must be centered first.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
is it false?????

The picture you posted shows the thrust washers GROOVES being installed AWAY from the crank girdle, and facing the block/crank.

Confusion of terms, and if you look, I edited this post a few times trying to clear it up. A simple picture that I didn't have could have cured everything nicely.

·
Cool User Title Here
6,900 Posts
transzex said:
is it false?????

The picture you posted shows the thrust washers GROOVES being installed AWAY from the crank girdle, and facing the block/crank.

Confusion of terms, and if you look, I edited this post a few times trying to clear it up. A simple picture that I didn't have could have cured everything nicely.
Ya know, now that I think back, I believe I installed mine the opposite of this picture. What would that do?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts