Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
wheres my money man!!
11,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know alot of you have used this and its worked out for you.
But I have never used it.
How many coats do i use? and do i let each coat dry before adding the next coats?
Also i do both sides right??

Im using this on a low mile cometic head gasket.

·
Registered
same as above
1,084 Posts
i have never used copper spray on a honda headgasket. honda does not recommend this at all.
Damn lol I just did this I remember reading along time ago everybody was saying to use it. Oh well guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
581 Posts
i have never used copper spray on a honda headgasket. honda does not recommend this at all.
honda oem gasket? or any gasket you use for a honda?

i have the same question sleepinciv...

did honda say to not use it? or do they say nothing about it?

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
ive never had a problem using the spray on felpro mls headgaskets.. high boost, never had a headgasket blow out. now that felpro has a new coating that they use now on their headgaskets, i will not use the spray... but since your resusing a low milage headgasket i would use it... (headgaskets arent expensive by the way) the only thing is, when you instal another headgasket, it requires a little more clean-up before installing a new one.

BUT: if you have a fresh milled head and block, i wouldnt use copper spray.

·
Registered
581 Posts
the real question is why would you? :3dtard:
you can't answer a question with a question...

what the purpose of the copper spray? to act as a gasket sealant?

i don't know...thats why i ask...

but to answer my question with another question doesnt help me gain any bit of knowledge...

just because it doesnt say to doesnt make it wrong or right...

and i know you arent supposed to re-use head gaskets...but some people do...with no issues...

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
you can't answer a question with a question...

what the purpose of the copper spray? to act as a gasket sealant?

i don't know...thats why i ask...

but to answer my question with another question doesnt help me gain any bit of knowledge...

just because it doesnt say to doesnt make it wrong or right...

and i know you arent supposed to re-use head gaskets...but some people do...with no issues...
i was going to reuse a head gasket but decided not to. i didnt even fire up the engine just torqued down the head and snapped an ARP head stud. i was going to use copper spray then. a light coat on each side.

to me, its something that is not needed. i dont see a benefit spraying a new gasket. i just dont think the designers had that in mind, but the OEM gasket works great as is. idk, its just not my thing. i even have a can of the stuff, just dont use it often at all

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Copper spray serves two purposes:
1) It provides a thin, malleable coating to fill surface imperfections
2) Copper has a very high thermal conductivity, so the coating acts like thermal paste used for CPU's

I wish I knew why it wasn't recommended, but almost every Honda technician that I've spoken to have recommended that I don't use copper spray. I'm guessing that it doesn't adhere well to MLS head gaskets, but it's still just speculation and hearsay.

As a side note, I've blown a Honda MLS head gasket with copper spray after meticulously cleaning the mating surfaces, using the correct torque specs/sequence, and carefully following the instructions on the can. I replaced it using the same method (sans the copper spray), and it's been holding up fine for over three years. Coincidence? Maybe.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
Copper spray serves two purposes:
1) It provides a thin, malleable coating to fill surface imperfections
2) Copper has a very high thermal conductivity, so the coating acts like thermal paste used for CPU's

I wish I knew why it wasn't recommended, but almost every Honda technician that I've spoken to have recommended that I don't use copper spray. I'm guessing that it doesn't adhere well to MLS head gaskets, but it's still just speculation and hearsay.

As a side note, I've blown a Honda MLS head gasket with copper spray after meticulously cleaning the mating surfaces, using the correct torque specs/sequence, and carefully following the instructions on the can. I replaced it using the same method (sans the copper spray), and it's been holding up fine for over three years. Coincidence? Maybe.
funny how youv blown a gasket with copper spray.. ive never blown a gasket at 25+psi of boost. must have been a defective headgasket.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
ive used it on both OEM and Cometic headgaskets with no issues

nothing wrong with it, and nothing wrong with a little added reassurance

funny how youv blown a gasket with copper spray.. ive never blown a gasket at 25+psi of boost. must have been a defective headgasket.
+1

i ran 25psi on mine and it never blew

·
Registered
see above
4,258 Posts
just to shit in your Wheaties, do you think honda recommends anything we do on our stock trans or motors:bigok:

i know people who use it everytime, some people do it as a fix. others never fuck with it. my findings are everyone does what they want.

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
*see cory's response

just to shit in your Wheaties, do you think honda recommends anything we do on our stock trans or motors:bigok:

i know people who use it everytime, some people do it as a fix. others never fuck with it. my findings are everyone does what they want.
you know i have been pushing 18+psi with mine, Ernie's, Henry's and more with the copper spray. not one failure from it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts