Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
crx
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it seems as if my 89 CRX Si is losing coolant fast. i installed a new radiator sunday night and filled it than checked it monday night and topped it off after it cooled off. last night i was one the highway and my car started to over heat. i go to check the coolant at a gas station and it was empty. when i opened it not a drop spilled. so i topped it off and got back on the highway and it seemed to eb overcooling at highway speeds. i know my fan works cause i changed the relay for it and it was on when i pulled over lasy night. only thing i can think of is maybe changing the thermostat or the coolant temperature switch on the back of the block?

the fan is new as well as the radiator. im guessing im loosing coolant through the overflow while in traffic.

·
Registered
77 Posts
mine was doing similar but not to that extent and not overheating

(strange that your car has almost no coolant but read HOT.. people on this forum seem to keep telling me it must be full to get a temp. reading :wacko:)

first thing would be check your oil/coolant.. make sure there is no mixing.. also check for bubbles in the overflow etc.. and all the other normal head gasket signs such as smoke/steam coming from exhaust etc

if you show no signs of a blown head gasket then i would check thermostat/cap first

also check for leaks around hoses and water pump area

also flush your system.. if clogged it could be creating more pressure and pushing it out of the overflow

if all that doesnt work your pulling your motor apart.. i would also not drive it much until you find the problem.. mine was not losing that much and never overheated but since yours is i'd be careful

·
VTEC withdrawals
i "ride" yo momma
1,339 Posts
only thing i can think of is maybe changing the thermostat or the coolant temperature switch on the back of the block?
im guessing im loosing coolant through the overflow while in traffic.
looks like your on the right track man. good luck. FREE BUMP!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts