Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
overheating car with no heat, that is a thermostat problem correct?

·
needs a D
290 Posts
i think he is trying to say that his car is over heating, and the heater is not working properly, and is wondering if it is the thermostat.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, it was like 15 degrees last night. got in my car this morning cranked it up, and drove off. I waited until the temp gauge was in the normal area and turned on my heat, well i had none. thought ok maybe its not completely warmed up, it was really cold last night. waited another minute or two. gauge is still in the normal area, still no heat. Come up to a stop light and notice the gauge start to climb toward the top, turned the heat on again, still no heat. I think maybe its low on coolant and thats why i have no heat, so i pull into a gas station and goto pop my hood.(this is not related to the cooling but pissed me off even more) well the stupid plastic piece breaks off(i guess because it was so cold, but i know alot of peoples have broken so). well i always carry a leatherman in my car so i broke that out and got the hood popped. i noticed coolant on the underside of the hood. i checked the coolant reservoir, it has come coolant in it and is in between min and max. so i go to take the radiator cap off( i know i should wait until it is cool) and coolant comes out. i add a little water to the radiator, and drive it back home (needed to go to school but it is a 45 mile drive and i didn't wanna risk destroying the engine). on the way back to my house the gauge stays in the normal area (didn't have to come to any complete stops).

Now i know the car needed a radiator flush and for the coolant to be replaced, was going to do that this weekend when it would be a little warmer outside. The coolant right now is a very rusty orange, not anywhere close to green(i know shouldn't have waited this long to flush). i plan on doing the flush today and replacing the coolant. should i also replace the thermostat, or just do the flush and refill and see if it does this again??

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think he is trying to say that his car is over heating, and the heater is not working properly, and is wondering if it is the thermostat.
yeah that, but i thought i would also explain what happened too

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
guess i will go ahead and test the thermostat then, see if it opens at all, cause i can open it with my hand although i doubt that means anything.

is it safe to test the thermostat in a pot i use to cook with and afterwards continue to cook with it??

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't use a pot I plan on reusing. Is the thermostat out of the car? cause if the upper radiator hose is hot your thermo is good. or staying open, would cause it to take longer to warmup but not overheating (assuming everything else is good).

DEF change the coolant, the way you describe it makes it sound NASTY. Any noises coming from the waterpump?

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
Coolant was on the underside of the hood? That happened to me when my rad cap wasn't on correctly and it was blasting coolant onto the underside of my hood instead of shooting it into the resevior.

The behaviour you are describing sounds like a closed thermo or too little coolant. When you filled the rad, did you open the bleed screw on the top of the engine @the rad hose?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Coolant was on the underside of the hood? That happened to me when my rad cap wasn't on correctly and it was blasting coolant onto the underside of my hood instead of shooting it into the resevior.

The behaviour you are describing sounds like a closed thermo or too little coolant. When you filled the rad, did you open the bleed screw on the top of the engine @the rad hose?
i don't have a bleed screw to my knowledge, its a d16y7. i do know what you are talking about though my old 85 accord with the ec2 carbed engine had one.

yeah the upper radiator hose was hot, the lower one coming from the thermo housing was mildly warm. i cant really tell if there are any noises coming from the water pump.

Ok which should i use for the flush zerex super flush or zerex super cleaner?? the super cleaner is about 2 times the price of the super flush and the super flush works in about 10 mins.

onto the thermostat, i am gonna go ahead and replace the thermostat just to be safe, as i can't remember when it was last changed( owned the car since 20k, now has 164k). should i get one from the autoparts store or get one from honda?? there is only about 5 dollars difference between the two.

also i tested the thermostat(poured boiling water in a cup and put the thermostat in the cup) and the thermostat opened up some, but it was only like 1/2 cm or so. not very much so that is another reason i am going to replace it.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
also i will be using a bottle of water wetter when i refil, had the thing for like 6 months.

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
someone correct me if i'm wrong but isn't water wetter no good. I think I remember reading that it deteriorate parts or foams or something.

see as how your at 164k I would replace the waterpump too. t-belt if you can afford it. bent valves suck.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
someone correct me if i'm wrong but isn't water wetter no good. I think I remember reading that it deteriorate parts or foams or something.

see as how your at 164k I would replace the waterpump too. t-belt if you can afford it. bent valves suck.
didn't know that about water wetter, but i didn't use it anyway.

The t-belt and waterpump were replaced at around 80k. I checked the t-belt when the car hit 160k and it looked fine, and still in good shape so i did not replace it like i had planned. i will check the belt again at 170k, but at 180k it will be replaced if not done already.

Just an update to the problem, i got the thermostat from honda because the one from autozone looked really cheap and looked as if it might break really easily. I did the flush with the zerex super flush, worked ok. Refilled with a 50/50 mix of water and prestone 5/150 (the orange stuff).

Got my heat back and the car is running at its normal temp again. im still :cussing: about my hood pop latch. i should get that replaced within the week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts