Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve had problem with my cooling system becoming totally rusted and water eating up all the metal parts! Unfortunately last time I only find out about it when it was too late and one of the connections broke and all the water was gone while I was driving. Long story short, it gave me a BHG and my car still has problem after that. After discovering all the broken metal parts I changed all of them, my cooling system and all the hoses totally .

This connection is responsible for all my f***ing problems!

This was on my engine head!

But now when I had to take out some of the hoses I found out that even in less than 2 months it has started to get rusted again.

I don’t want the same thing to happen to me after a while. Once was enough for me! I just want to know how I can protect the metal parts in cooling system from rusting, specially the parts that go under the hoses.

Should I spray it with antirust before I put the hose on? Will it help? How long it will protect it? There are some Antirust additives which you can add to radiator, should i use them? which brand have you tried which works? Are all the cooling system developing rust like this or I have to look for another issue in my car? If you know any specific product which is good for protecting your cooling system let me know about it!

Thanks

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What are you running for coolant? Is your engine grounded thoroughly?
I bought this car 5 months ago. Everything looked very nice and clean from outside and mileage was also very low for a 12 years old car! Engine and gearbox was also in a good condition at that time! Anybody saw the car and drive it then, told me it feels like a new car and said engine sounds very nice and smoth! I knew that the previous owner wasn’t using the car that much since he had another car and when he used the car he was driving very slowly (he was a university lecturer!!)

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Here in the US we have a bazzilion options for something like this. I would go to a parts store and buy a bottle of Prestone cooling system cleaner, the cleaning kit with hose nozzles that make it easier to flush the cooling system, and a few bottles of pre-mixed coolant. I don't know exactly what your options are as far as stuff like that goes, but I would look for something of that nature.

Also, if you do mix your own coolant, you are are supposed to use distilled water. Most water that comes from a faucet is full of ionic compounds that can eat away at the insides of your engine. This could very well be the case. Couple this with a grounding problem, and you have the perfect environment for your coolant to ruin all the metal of your engine from the inside out.

So, flush with a cleaning agent (usually something slightly acidic), use distilled water or pre-mixed coolant, and make sure your grounds are good.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Coolant has additives that stem corrosion. Used with distilled water, you should not have any further problems.

Since all of the fittings are steel and, except for that section of pipe, all are electrically connected, electrolysis is not your issue.

I'm assuming that was the reason for the grounding concerns.

·
Registered
'06 GMC Sierra Crew
170 Posts
Lol, wtf... Are you guys running ocean salt water in ur cooling systems down there? I live in Canada with all the salt/snow/ice and havent seen rusted through pipes like that.

Seriously though, make sure you run mixture of Prestone (or other) and water. I'd run like 40/60 or 50/50 since you wont need freezing protection. And if you can get some distilled water, the better. Or look for pre-mixed coolant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts