Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 civic dx coupe
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mods feel free to move if this is in the wrong section

i tried searching but haven't found anything like this its always a problem with over heating

ive noticed that my rad fan doesnt turn on and the lower coolant hose that runs from the rad to the thermostat is cool to the touch even after driving and the motor has been warm for some time but the hose running from the head to rad is significantly hotter. the car has never overheated since i have owned it even after a few 3+ hour drives to the mountains. but it seems the coolant isnt flowing like the thermo isnt opening. has anyone experienced this before? the temp guage stays just under the half way mark never any higher

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Does your fan turn on at all???

·
Registered
95 civic dx coupe
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope never haven't had a chance to hard wire it yet o check if it works but i don't believe the fan would be the problem with coolant not flowing its just odd that it doesn't overheat

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Well if the thermostat was closed then the fan should be on once it gets to temp...are you sure there's a thermostat in there????

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
well the sensor that tells your fan to turn on or not is located just past the thermostat. I'd say replace the thermostat it's no more than $10 at any auto parts store. you can disconnect the plug from the sensor and jump the 2 leads to see if your fan comes on. if the lower hose is cold it's tell tale that your thermostat is not opening, which doesn't allow hot coolant to pass by the sensor not turning the fan on. Jumping the plug will tell you that the relay, fuse, and wiring is all good. then the only thing left is the sensor itself but since the hose is not hot I wouldn't worry about that yet.

·
Registered
95 civic dx coupe
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im not too worried about it but i thing its very odd.
it doesn't make much sense as to why it isn't over heating if water isn't flowing

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
im not too worried about it but i thing its very odd.
it doesn't make much sense as to why it isn't over heating if water isn't flowing
do you have the heater on a lot? I think it bypasses the thermostat allowing some colder coolant to circulate. But definitely replace the thermostat I believe the engine can get to about 200 degrees before the temp gauge will move past the halfway mark which is not healthy temps to be operating at. fan should kick on around 180.

·
Registered
95 civic dx coupe
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i usually never have the heat on it could be a foot of snow out and ill be rockin windows down. im familiar with the temp ranges and know my way around a motor. im picking up a new block and ex trans after the holidays so not a big deal at all, i was curious to see if anyone else had the same problem

·
Registered
95 civic dx coupe
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its cold now but in the summer seeing 90 plus degree weather for weeks is normal even in hot ass days it wont over heat thats what i didnt get about it

·
Registered
66 Posts
what happened to me very recently is that even though my car didnt overheat (98 civic dx, temp always a tad below half), i noticed smoke from under the hood. I pop it and there was a crack on my radiator. turned out that my thermostat was gone too, as well as a couple of leaks in the heater and bypass hoses. so while the car didn't overheat, it still messed up my rad.

if cold coolant is flowing through the lower rad hose, might be the thermostat. check for leaks too and coolant level. i just left mine alone and thats wat happens

·
Registered
95 civic dx coupe
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^ as soon as it warms up a lil buying the part and replacing it isnt the problem i was just wondering if anyone had the same problem and not overheating

1 - 14 of 14 Posts