Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
civic ex coupe
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just replaced my radiator because it was leaking I also switch out my thermostat housing, thermostat, and cooling fan switch that goes in the houseing my cooling fan worked before I took it off my old radiator and now I'm trying to get coolint threw the whole car but my fan won't come on and my thermostat won't open I ran the car for ten minutes with the heater on full last and nothing and I was wondering could it be a bad relay fuse or burnt out fan moter, I made sure all connections were clean and the ground went back on the housing I tried to bypass the fan with a paper clip and nothing but I only tried it in the on position engine was off I'm running out of ideas and suggestions would greatly be appreciated even sarcasim thanks for your time

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Check the fuse. Test the fan itself to make sure it works.

·
Registered
civic ex coupe
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Check the fuse. Test the fan itself to make sure it works.
How would I test the fan it's self? Sorry for he dumb question, am I going to need a volt meter because I don't have one.

@guest and yes my heater is blowing hot my car is 98 civic ex 5 spd with an ek4 cluster and my heat gauge never work since I bought the car

* just checked fuse and relay the fuse looks good and clean the really looks good also but kinda has a gloss finish around the prongs so maybe the rely melted a lil or I'm just tripping I can't upload a picture to the forum but I have pics in my album if it helps

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts

You jump the fan switch plug like this? If so with the ignition switch in the on position the fan should have turned on.

To test the fan itself unplug it and take two wires, one from the positive side of the battery and the other to ground. Touch them to the pins in the plug, the fan should turn on if it wires. Be carefull not to touch the wires together just to the pins in the plug.

·
Registered
civic ex coupe
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you I was jumping the fan wrong with the paper clip will 14 g wire be ok to do this bypass an also do you think I should drive her around my only problem I live on top of a big hill and with no cooling fan I worrierd about causing more damge

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
See what happens when you jump the fan switch plug the right way. Report back.

·
Registered
civic ex coupe
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See what happens when you jump the fan switch plug the right way. Report back.
Soi used 14 gauge wire and put it in the plug like shown with ignition in on position and engine off still no cooling fan

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Test the fan itself out,make sure it works.

·
Registered
civic ex coupe
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The cooling fan does turn over when connected to the battery

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Try swapping the relay with another one and jump the fan switch again. See if that works.

·
Registered
civic ex coupe
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok will do that, i have to run down to auto zone should I grab a fuse also and what's it sound like a bad wire or a bad connection?

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
It could be a bad wire or connection even a bad relay,but it's hard to tell. Having new fuses isn't a bad thing. I've seen fuses look good but are non working.

Stick a piece of wire in the fan switch plug on the green wire,then take the other end of the wire and touch it to the ground post on the battery. With the ignition switch on and the wire touching the neg battery post the fan should come on.

·
Registered
civic ex coupe
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stick a piece of wire in the fan switch plug on the green wire,then take the other end of the wire and touch it to the ground post on the battery. With the ignition switch on and the wire touching the neg battery post the fan should come on.
I did it came on should I still go get relay?

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Did you swap the relay or just jump the green wire to battery ground,that made it work?

·
Registered
civic ex coupe
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ya just jumped it from the green wire and it worked. Is there still a need for a new relay?

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
New relay is not needed. It sounds like the black(ground) wire in the fan switch plug is broken/not making a connection.

·
Registered
civic ex coupe
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New relay is not needed. It sounds like the black(ground) wire in the fan switch plug is broken/not making a connection.
Cool thank you so much for all your time and help today I greatly appreciate it I will start on her again tomorrow I ran out of daylight and have no light under the hood ill update when I check her out

·
Registered
civic ex coupe
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so i checked the ground wire from the fan switch plug i think the plug its self might be bad or might not fit proper with the new one i bought, but it still clicks in to place, so should i risk driving her down to auto zone and hope to pizza gods that the cooling fan comes on or just go buy a new plug for the new cooling fan switch?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts