Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
crx
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was on my way to work and i didnt get to far when i noticed the temp gaugse go a tad higher than usual than went back down to where its usualy at. it did it once last night but today it was more noticable and did it more than once. no overheating but i didnt wanna take a chance and drove my othrler car to work.

thermostat starting to go bad? its about 3 years old, autozone brand..

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Stat is an easy change, and must likely a lifetime item anyways.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
No real info here.
How much did the gauge go up? and stock gauge isnt all that good. I believe half mark is like 200-210f and then H is around 270f.
So it could of been a hot day small water leak etc..

but yea you can replace the tstat and coolant flush.

·
Registered
crx
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no leaks. it did it late last night also but just once. onky does it at steady speed. when im accelerating under boost temp stays normal. i put in water wetter and straight water a week ago since its summer time. im in central florida so everyday is hot....

·
Registered
650 Posts
The thermostat could just be sticking. On my civic, I never noticed my gauge going up at all, but my thermostat wound up being stuck closed. The coolant was still getting through the weep hole on it, luckily for me.

Just try a new thermostat and see what happens. What's a couple bucks for a necessary part that can make or break your motor?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Just buy a new one. Those don't cost much, either. Always change it. I was in a pinch once, used RTV, but I don't recommend that. Have to be very careful. If you use too much, you can have little pieces breaking off and clogging the thermo, or getting stuck in some of the smaller hoses and ports.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,251 Posts
H mark is 240F.

Just like thr fuel gauge drops like a rock the temp gauge is quick to climb.

Now when you PEG that bastard and any water you add comes back out as a steam geyser 10 seconds later.....you got one HOT!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts