Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a d16z6 that recently got a full coolant flush along with the air burped out of the system.

The problem is After I burped out the air i checked the radiator (once it was cooled off) and the coolant was a little low. So my question is why didn't my rad suck coolant back in from the overflow? Also if the radiator isn't topped up properly doesn't that put more air into the system?

Any tips on how to fix this/diagnosing the problem would be much appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Me personally, I dont bother fixing this sort of thing even within a month of a full flush or coolant refill.

Shit takes forever to finally burp all the air out.

The overflow is simply there for when things get too damn hot, the coolant has someplace to go.

It is NOT directly responsible for maintaining a coolant level in the system.

For easiest air burping, I like to jack the front end up as high as I possibly can, then I let the car idle with the rad cap off for 45 minutes or longer.

You MUST verify the fans work as honda intended, else you will overheat like crazy.

Come out and check the coolant level every 5-10 minutes after its hot.

·
Meat Popsicle
2,922 Posts
Bleed the coolant system per the FSM. Rad cap off, heater set to hot, add coolant as necessary, wait for rad fan to come on, then cap it. Fill the overflow tank to be specified level and drive. Re check the coolant level after a few days of driving and top off if you need to.

If you find that you can never keep the radiator full, start investigating for leaks.

As Matt already said, the radiator can draw in coolant from the overflow tank but you shouldn’t rely on that to keep the coolant system free of air.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Before my rebuild mine seem to never use the Overflow tank until i would shut the engine off then it would suck it all back into the system. After A LOT! of troubleshooting i couldn't figure out any real tangible problems. So during my engine rebuild I discovered my Head gasket was allowing cooling into the combustion chamber and burning my coolant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts