Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a td05 turbo from 06 evo8, Do i NEED to have the coolant lines hooked up to it?? many have told me they dont use them with the mitsubishi turbos. Also would it be benificial to use a oil reducer.
Also dose anyone know how to hook up a catch can for boosted car, can pvc still be hooked directly to mani??

·
Registered
136 Posts
The coolant lines are there so why not take advantage of them(work like a built in turbo timer), plus its pretty easy to hook them up, so why not hook'em up I say!?!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take line from iacv and run it too coolant feed, then take coolant return and run it throttle body??? anyone know about catch can hook up, and oil reducer

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well youre going to need an oil pressure reducer. As far as a catchcan, theres a couple of different setups out there. Theres a real good comparison writeup posted out there someplace in a honda forum, im not sure which one tho. I know stealthmode sells a nice adjustable inline oil pressure reducer.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
do not run the pcv with a boosted car just take out the pcv valve out of the intake manifold and plug the vacume spot.. if you leave the pcv it can add excess pressure on the bottom end..

·
Registered
106 Posts
^x2. Thats what Im doing and it works great. Not so nice on the environment, but not running a cat isnt nice either. Ideally, you want some vacuum to pull the gases out of your crankcase but an open setup as described works just fine.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
running na, with an open set up made my car smoke like a mother fucker, as soon as i hooked the pcv system back up it didnt smoke a bit. I dont see how it could add pressure on the bottom end if it is pulling pressure out of the bottom end.Can you explain, thanks

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
The pcv valve is a check valve. Air only goes one way so when there is boost its closed, its not pulling anything.There's no vaccum in boost.N/a the pcv valve is only fully closed if there is a misfire.The pressures going to have to go somewhere.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The pcv system is designed to remove gases from the crankcase. On a na honda motor the pcv system is adequate since crankcase pressures dont get extreme but when you add turbocharging/supercharging it increases the crankcase pressure due to increased blowby which makes the stock pcv system inadequate. If you remove the pcv hose from the intake and plug the hole in the intake thats essentially running an open breather system. I did that and bored out the valve inside the pcv and that has been working great. The only way the pcv system would introduce pressure into the crankcase would be if it was routed wrong. In that case, you would get smoking like you described.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok i kinda get what you are saying. First i had pcv hooked up through a catch can, the valve cover and pcv (no valve) were t'd together into the bottom of can, then the top was ran to the intake, what was happening was that it was sucking oil out of the valve cover like crazy and made my car smoke. I disconnected pcv and ran it open, still smoked. Then i ran it to pcv valve and to intake manifold, and it didnt smoke at all. My boy told me to put a breather on the valve cover, then to take pcv and run it to bottom of catch can, then take the top and run it to the intake. Is that a good way to do it. Thanks for your help guys, i really apperciate it. I am new to turbo

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
The proper way to set up the PCV system is to route it from the turbo intake. If you route the line to the valve cover from the pressurize side of the turbo, you will blow your seals on the engine as however many PSI youe turbo produces will blow into your engine. NOT GOOD.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So you are saying that it should go from the pcv to the bottom of catch can, then top of can to turbo intake, and what put a breather on the valve cover

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
me and my friend took his 2 inlet ebay catch can... drilled and tapped a hole on the top... but the 2 inlets 1 to the valvecover and one to the black box on the back of the motor..and the top hole we drilled we put a brass pipe fitting and put that to a slash cut on the intake side of the turbo... works good

1 - 13 of 13 Posts