Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ive had this car for awhile now and about a month ago i changed the coolant since the last owner didn't take the best care of the car so i figured it was time...this was my mistake...ever since i changed the coolant whenever i drive and come to my destination i can smell coolant, i pop the hood and its all over the engine bay...so i tried a spare radiator cap (honda's are notorious for doing this) and thought that was an easy fix...that didn't fix it either...so i finally went and bought a new one today at honda and i drove the car tonight and what do ya know...its doing the same thing...has anyone else had this issue before? ive tried to find out where its leaking from but when i stop the car and pop the hood its done leaking and the whole motor is covered with coolant...this is really starting to irritate me...any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1995 Civic EX Coupe
579 Posts
maybe keep the car running and pop the hood? it could be from one of the lines to the intake manifold or maybe a bigger hose thats cut.

·
Registered
2001 Z3 Coupe 3.0i
913 Posts
look at the top of the radiator while its hot for a hariline crack...especially around where the fans/shrouds are mounted onto it.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Park the car
full the water system and run around the block (2-3 mins) stop the car and check the following.

1. Check for leaks in radiator hoses, IM hoses, Heater hoses.
2. check the radiator for cracks.
3. verify the temp constantly and wait to the fan to turn on. (form cold start could be 15-20 mins)
4. Have a large bathroom towel covering your hand and the radiator area, and SLOWLY remove the radiator pressure cap. DO NOT turn it completely, let the pressure (or vapor) come out first and leave the towel there, this may help you avoid splash to your face.
5. check water level. Add if necessary. Leave the car at idle without the cap (rad filled over the top)

IF the the water circulate and the car temp is ok you just had an air bubble.
If the radiator randomly regurgitates the water yout thermostat is worn out.
If the water keep lowering its level you have a leak somewhere you didn't find.
If you have or see oil in the coolant your burning water, Head Gasket blown.

Hope it helps

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the help guy's the radiator is actually leaking so im going to just order a new one!

·
Registered
2001 Z3 Coupe 3.0i
913 Posts
I'd suggest radiatorworld.com for a good deal on a OEM replacement. I got a Visteon replacement for $109 delivered there, just like stock, except aluminum instead of brass vanes.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i actually just picked one up on ebay for real cheap...oem style aluminum as well...over 12,000+ posi feedback! but thanks anyways brother!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts