Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic EX
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed an Edelbrock intake manifold and after I get done refilling the coolant I hear it all spilling onto the floor. I looked at all the hoses I could see and none of them look like they have been leaking so I have no idea which one it came from. All the holes on the throttle body and intake manifold have hoses connected to them so I am fairly sure I didn't forget a hose. I checked and the hose from the intakemani to the throttle body it connected, throttle body to iacv is connected, the other iacv hose is connected, thermostat to manifold coolant line is connected. I think I have them all. The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the manifold isn't sitting flush and that coolant is seeping through from in between the head and the gasket but it came out really fast and it isn't wet around there from what I can tell. I need my car running by tomorrow night so any help would be greatly appreciated! The only thing I can think of is that tomorrow I will have someone pour water into the radiator and I will get under the car and see where it is leaking from.

·
Registered
547 Posts
it sound like a big leak. maybe trying force water in it with a hose? i like to use coolant pressure tester to find leaks but i do not believe u have one.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic EX
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I think it is a pretty big leak almost like a hose isn't even connected because I wasn't even running the engine, just pouring coolant into the radiator and it comes out from under the intake manifold somewhere. It wasn't even under pressure yet. I really don't want to have to spend all the day tomorrow taking the manifold back off and looking around.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
WHATEVER you do, DO NOT CRANK THE MOTOR until leak is found.

Even then pull all the plugs before turning it over.

Simple coolant leak into a head/intake and an open intake valve = hydrolocked and DONE!

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic EX
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Okay I just pulled the whole thing off again and surely enough there is coolant on the new gasket around the coolant hole so I just didn't get enough of the old gasket scrapped off. I don't think any coolant got into the cylinders but I will pull the plugs and ecu fuse and crank it a few times first anyway. Thanks guys.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
reason I err on the safe side, buddy had a leaking headgasket, put about 8 ounces of coolant into #2 cylinder. Tried to start it then next morning and bent the rod due to hydrolock only using the starter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts