Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay well i have a 1994 honda civic ex d16z6 with a greddy 15g turbo kit. after launching when racing my buddy one day i noticed the temp gauge was starting to rise. i turn the heat on and it goes down normal. pull over and pop the hood and see that the reservior and radiator are totally dry. put some coolant in and its gone within a couple days. now when it was warmer this week in new york there was no white smoke [kinda sucks trying to diagnose a hg in winter], oil is clean, and there is no oil in the coolant. fan kicks on, and there is no drips on my driveway. there is some coolant on the tranny but i dont know where its comming from. im stumped.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Sounds like you have a leak somewhere. Did you check the T-stat housing? Check for cracks in hoses?

·
11,892 Posts
hoses are fine. and the t-stat housing looks alright. what are the signs of an cracked block/head?
I've never experienced this but I would say loss in power, oil in coolant, coolant in oil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i know its weird. the coolant isnt mixing with the oil and vice versa. no white smoke. doesnt show signs of a hg but what else can it be?

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
Theres is a coolant passage on the intake manifold check around there to but if you said that there is coolant on the tranny I would pull the t-stat and check the seal on that. Have you filled it up jacked the car up and then ran the car to see if you can see a leak that would probably be the best thing to do

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
i would suggest taking it to a dealer to have them add a dye to the coolant. and then have them look for it with the "special" light.

either that or find a garage you can sit in. and just fill up the coolant and let the car run (of course with the garage door open).

i would put money that one of your hoses is cracked right where it is clamped and when it comes under pressure starts to bleed.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
i would put money that one of your hoses is cracked right where it is clamped and when it comes under pressure starts to bleed.
x2 or where the lower rad sits in its holder on the tranny. the system has got to be fully pressurised to see a leak sometimes. with coolant on the tranny i would say you have a leak somewhere. btw oil and coolant dont have to mix to have a bad head gasket.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Iv'e had that happen with more then a few cars...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Iv'e had that happen with more then a few cars...
It definately sounds like this is the problem... where ever the coolant seems to be on the tranny, look and see which coolant line/hose is near by, replace it, clean the coolant off that spilled on the tranny, refill the radiator and resivoir and see what happens.

If you had a coolant pressure tester you would have found the leak already.

·
Registered
187 Posts
check your plugs if they are really clean you are burning water/coolant. smell the exhaust if it smells like pancake syrup or sweet smell you could have a crack and be buring coolant

·
Registered
613 Posts
check the hose right under the dizzy. if your turbo lines are tee'd off from the heater core hoses, the hose most likely cracked right at the neck from the head.

·
Registered
187 Posts
another thing?? when it is full of water/coolant and is running pull the cap off and if there are bubbles comming up there might be a head gasket problem

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
yep... i popped a motor like that i knew it was leaking couldnt find the leak.. driving home one day for an hour drive cel comes on and the car dies then the temp guage jumps to the hot zone pull over and theres steam coming from between the head and the block :) yay

check all of your hoses

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
yep... i popped a motor like that i knew it was leaking couldnt find the leak.. driving home one day for an hour drive cel comes on and the car dies then the temp guage jumps to the hot zone pull over and theres steam coming from between the head and the block :) yay

check all of your hoses
yeah, i love it when they do that. makes me want to add vtech to my car either that or punch babies :lol:.

·
11,892 Posts
Is your rad cap good?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts