Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just noticed this problem so i dont know how long its been like this. When i daily drive my car it runs just fine, no overheating problem etc. but when i get on it real hard, like doing a couple of 3rd and 4th gear pulls to redline i noticed that my coolant reserve is filled with coolant, but my car doesnt overheat. Next day of driving normal, the coolant reserve is near empty. Is this a early sign of a headgasket problem or is this normal?

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
sounds like head lift, do you have arp's in it?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
or your thermostat is sticking closed causing the coolant to back up through the overflow. but that usually casues overheating aswell.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
just keep checking to make sure you are not leaking, loosing antifreeze and make sure its always full... if its a head problem... when your car is cold start it with the cap off and wait til the antifreeze enters your engine and make sure its not bubbling if it is its a head/headgasket problem... .. also your temp sensor could be screwed and your car might be overheating...

other then that i have no idea..... oh.. also is your turbo water cooled?

·
Registered
43 Posts
If the coolant is going a darker colour (ie, not nice green or whatever colour it usually is) from combustion chamber stuff polluting it, then it's the headgasket. Maybe that helps narrow down the problem.

When I had a leaky head gasket (cracked sleeve actually) I could drive around alright normally but under sustained boost like a full-second-and-into-third-gear-run the water temp would go up a few degrees (the engine temp gauge wouldn't move, but my water temp gauge would) and my coolant level would fall.

It sounds a lot like a headgasket unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
ahhhhh!!! i've got ur answer..and its called "BLOWBY" sounds like ur not venting ur pcv and all that crankcase pressure fucked up ur ring lands and ur head gasket is probably toast now...i dont care how new it is....but definantly ur lookin at yankin the motor and rebuilding it...i'd reccomend gettting some vitaras and next time around VENT UR PCV!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

·
Premium Member
4G93 Turbo
133 Posts
Yeah it does sound like head lift

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
If the coolant is going a darker colour (ie, not nice green or whatever colour it usually is) from combustion chamber stuff polluting it, then it's the headgasket. Maybe that helps narrow down the problem..

do you mean oil....??? if he getting antifreeze to fill up his entire overflow tank it wont be a head gasket.... if the head gasket is bad it will use antifreeze.... if it was a bad headgasket/ cracked sleeve you will normally.. not all the time find antifreeze in your oil. and like i said.... you will have bubbles coming up from the radiater cap..

·
Registered
43 Posts
do you mean oil....??? if he getting antifreeze to fill up his entire overflow tank it wont be a head gasket.... if the head gasket is bad it will use antifreeze.... if it was a bad headgasket/ cracked sleeve you will normally.. not all the time find antifreeze in your oil. and like i said.... you will have bubbles coming up from the radiater cap..
I was thinking that if there is a headgasket leak between the combustion chamber and the water jacket around the cylinders then the water will be polluted and turn a darker colour as combustion chamber gases mix with the water (and also pressurise the water system causing it to push coolant).

If there's a headgasket leak between the oil and water chambers then there would be cross-pollution, but I was thinking more of a leak between the combustion chamber and the water since water is disappearing.

·
Registered
93 CIVIC HATCH
302 Posts
NOOB!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
ahhhhh!!! i've got ur answer..and its called "BLOWBY" sounds like ur not venting ur pcv and all that crankcase pressure fucked up ur ring lands and ur head gasket is probably toast now...i dont care how new it is....but definantly ur lookin at yankin the motor and rebuilding it...i'd reccomend gettting some vitaras and next time around VENT UR PCV!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

I dont have a pcv valve hooked up, i have it open to the atmosphere. I also have a built vitara block all set ready to go but i'm just waiting for it to get warmer. I also want to push a stock block to the limits to see what it can do. and so far the motor handles my drunken rampage quite nicley on a great tune.

If i crack a sleeve, wouldnt i see something out of the ordinary when i pull the sparkplugs? They look fine not one sign of detonation. the coolant is still clean green. I'll do a compression test and report back.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
noob? lol your funny.... acually if you have a bad headgasket.. with the radiator cap off you will see bubbles coming up.... notice if it was a cracked sleeve wouldnt it be doing it all the time???? he said only during high boost... to my its not a sleeve... so dont quote me and just say noob with nothing behind yourself to back your answer up buddy

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
hmm i hate to sound like a noob but, your saying i should not have a pcv valve installed? i have a breather filter on my valve cover already but i am running a stock pcv set up.

·
Registered
an ej8 coupe
553 Posts
noob? lol your funny.... acually if you have a bad headgasket.. with the radiator cap off you will see bubbles coming up.... notice if it was a cracked sleeve wouldnt it be doing it all the time???? he said only during high boost... to my its not a sleeve... so dont quote me and just say noob with nothing behind yourself to back your answer up buddy
if you dont bleed the coolant system after you refill it, you can get bubbles as well. if im not mistaken, that can cause an overheating problem too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If i crack a sleeve, wouldnt i see something out of the ordinary when i pull the sparkplugs? They look fine not one sign of detonation. the coolant is still clean green. I'll do a compression test and report back.
Are you actually losing coolant? As in, every morning when the car is cold the level of coolant in the overflow is falling day to day? Your coolant being nice and clean is a good sign as far as I know and re-reading your OP I'm not sure you're actually losing coolant, just observing different levels in the overflow which I guess can vary depending on what the engine's been doing. I'd compare the level first thing in the morning each day.

I am not extremely knowledgable but I don't think a cracked sleeve will necessarily give any hints on the sparkplugs. In my experience the crack is usually extremely small and the engine might perform fine at low revs with no movement in the water temperature whatsoever but when you plant it gas gets pushed through into the water jacket and water temp starts to rise.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
if you dont bleed the coolant system after you refill it, you can get bubbles as well. if im not mistaken, that can cause an overheating problem too.
yes thats true.. but if im not mistaken some d16's dont have bleeders ontop of the thermastate houseing. just for my knowledge as well where would you bleed it then? but i do no from experience that when the headgasket is bad you get some large amounts of air/bubbles under the cap.... and i forgot to add when i said that antifreeze gets in the oil when the head gasket is bad... but i left out that it depends on where the gasket is bad that you could get antifreeze in your oil.......... also im just gonna throw out because i havnt experienced one yet, but with a cracked sleeve... wouldnt you get some blow by from oil getting through the rings where it is cracked??? i dont know so dont hold me against that...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts