Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whats up y'all. I posted an introduction in the n00b section, and figured I'd make a build thread to get some pictures on here of my build. My power goal is 275-300 hp.

Parts I have so far:
-d16z6 block
-d16y8 head with y7 valvetrain and stock cam
-supertech valvesprings and retainers
-supertech stem seals
-YCP 75.5 mm vitaras
-p2p0 rods
-kings racing bearings

For the turbo kit:
-Garrett t3/t04e .48 A/R hotside
-Tial 38mm wastegate 8 psi spring
-Turbo XS RFL blow off valve
-Go-Autoworks charge piping kit
-Go-Autoworks downpipe, wastegate dump
-Go-Autoworks cast mani
-Go-Autoworks d series catch can kit

Also some misc. stuff:
-Glowshift gauges (Boost, Wideband, Oil pressure, Oil Temp, Water Temp)
-GReddy turbo timer

And the car this is all going in:

I will post pictures of the engine soon!

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Sounds like a solid setup. Cant wait to see how it comes together.

Any reason youre not just using a normal Y8 or Z6 head? Why put Y7 guts in a Y8 head?

Also, you should use Imgur instead of Flickr.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't post pictures yet until my post count is up to 10, and I didn't post that link correctly I don't think.

But yes, that's the factory front end.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a solid setup. Cant wait to see how it comes together.

Any reason youre not just using a normal Y8 or Z6 head? Why put Y7 guts in a Y8 head?

Also, you should use Imgur instead of Flickr.
I guess the only reason is because I got both heads for cheap, and the one cam cap on the y8 is broken where the valve cover bolt goes into. I looked into it and saw I could use the y7's valvetrain in a y8 which has a more effective head design and better quench pads. It also raises the compression a little for my vitara setup which is nice.

You think I should just go with a z6 head? My buddy might have one for sale. If it makes more sense in the long run I'll just do that, what do you think?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I got some pictures of my block. This is the one piece of my build that worries me. It sat outside without a head on it for a little and it developed some rust in the cylinder walls. Do you think this will machine out? I haven't taken it to the machine shop yet, just wanted to see what you guys think.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,008 Posts
if you haven't machined the block yet, yes it should come out

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got another update with some pictures, and some concerns. This engine was built by someone who either missed some steps, or just doesn't understand engine building. Whatever the case, these were the rod bearings I pulled out

These things were gnarly! Idk what happened. Maybe he over torqued them, maybe someone can diagnose this.

So I was scared to see the crank, but it looks pretty good to me.

Do you guys think this crank is okay?

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
I dont know enough, but can you feel that with you finger nail or is it smooth across the surface?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I got some goodies in the mail this week! Big thanks to Greg at Go-Autoworks, he does fantastic work :)

I also decided to go with a brand new Turbonetics super 60. Greg gave me an awesome deal on it that I couldn't pass up

Still collecting parts, I have some more stuff I can throw up here soon like engine internals

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
Everything looks good, and if anything I'd run acl race bearings over kings. You should hit your goals no problem. Subbed!

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,008 Posts
greg sent those to the wrong place, he meant to send em my way. sall good, Ill cover the return shipping ;)

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
Looking good, curious to see how that downpipe fits. Z6 use a steel oil pan correct? My go autoworks downpipe didn't fit perfect, I had to bash in the flex pipe because it was up against my aluminum y8 oil pan. I mailed it back with my turbine housing first and Greg said it fit fine so I ended up bashing it in to fit, then it hung to low so I took a 1/4 inch out of the down section to suck it up closer to the bottom of the car.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Everything looks good, and if anything I'd run acl race bearings over kings. You should hit your goals no problem. Subbed!
Can you edumacate us as to why? I've heard good things about king bearings. One thing is that the coating that comes on it doesn't rub off like the acls do.

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
Can you edumacate us as to why? I've heard good things about king bearings. One thing is that the coating that comes on it doesn't rub off like the acls do.
I've had bad rod sets of kings 2 of the bearing had scuffs out of the box. It's a hit or miss i guess

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess I should open mine up to check them then. A local machine shop had told me about them so I went ahead and got them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looking good, curious to see how that downpipe fits. Z6 use a steel oil pan correct? My go autoworks downpipe didn't fit perfect, I had to bash in the flex pipe because it was up against my aluminum y8 oil pan. I mailed it back with my turbine housing first and Greg said it fit fine so I ended up bashing it in to fit, then it hung to low so I took a 1/4 inch out of the down section to suck it up closer to the bottom of the car.
I'm using a z6 so I HOPE it fits haha. I'm pretty sure that's what Greg uses to mock these up, but I could be wrong

1 - 20 of 20 Posts