Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been pondering converting every light bulb on my civic to LED. I think the lower amperage draw would be nice. Here's a shopping list:

175x4, side markers, license plate.
1157x6, brake lights, front turn signals.
1156x5 center brake light, rear turn signals, reverse lights.
DE3022x2, dome, trunk.

Thats about all i can think of. Ill be leaving the gauge cluster as is. I dont have climate controls.

·
Registered
98 Civic HX D16Y5
167 Posts
I've been wanting to do the same for some time.

The 1156 and 1157 flash/blink so you will need 50A 6Ohm resistors to not have them blink ridiculously fast. Also that defeats your "lower-amperage draw" when using the flash/blink bulbs with resistors.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
If your ordering online from superbrightleds.com I ordered this flasher from them CF13- JL-02, just need to remove the plastic cover and trim the pcb slightly to fit.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Sounds good.
I replace my trunk with a led cod strip.
Bright as all hell, lights up the whole trunk.

I did my cluster woth a 5led bulb. So there nice and bright also.

I plan to do my reveres lights and turns. Just dont got the lose cash to spend

·
Premium Member
90 crx si/96 accord
788 Posts
I used some smd cob led's in my accords bumper turn signals, i forget the exact wattage, but I ended up not having to use a resistor.

I would like to see some more reviews on the led headlight bulb kits tho

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Headlight LEDs have not caught up to HID YET? It can't compete with out and useable light beam.
Also an FYI when buying bulbs for the front blinkers and rear tail lights. Make sure there e dual contact. This makes it so you can see the difference between lights on and when brakes are pressed. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
98 Civic HX D16Y5
167 Posts
Headlight LEDs have not caught up to HID YET? It can't compete with out and useable light beam.
I figured they can't compare hence why they aren't popular. I might try them anyway... Haha

Also an FYI when buying bulbs for the front blinkers and rear tail lights. Make sure there e dual contact. This makes it so you can see the difference between lights on and when brakes are pressed. Hope that makes sense.
This is important, because the OEM bulb is dual filament.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
What exact ring kit do i need ? Specefic model name or do i just specify that its for a 89 crx ?

Stratton
you have 9005 and 9006 bulbs

H4 will not fit

·
Registered
Black/Green Civic HB
753 Posts
Don't change from halogens to hid/led if you do not have the proper projector housing to support it. (It's illegal in most states anyways...blinds any other driver on the road.)

I'm about to try out LEDs for headlights soon myself, one thing to look out for is the lumen output. A lot of the older style bulbs are rated by watts and the difference in efficiency of leds make it confusing for most people to pick the right output of replacement LEDs for older style lights, it's best to look at the lumen output for the true amount of light they output

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't change from halogens to hid/led if you do not have the proper projector housing to support it. (It's illegal in most states anyways...blinds any other driver on the road.)

I'm about to try out LEDs for headlights soon myself, one thing to look out for is the lumen output. A lot of the older style bulbs are rated by watts and the difference in efficiency of leds make it confusing for most people to pick the right output of replacement LEDs for older style lights, it's best to look at the lumen output for the true amount of light they output

Oh damn its illegal, im definitely not doing it... Lol

·
Registered
98 Civic HX D16Y5
167 Posts
Stratton: buy new headlight housings first. That is a must if you have fogged/old headlights.

The H4 kit I linked comes with the adapter ring you need. Mattliston is half right. If you go look at the pictures for the LED kit, there is the adapter ring with the three small tabs that lock it into the headlight housing we have.
It will work for you Stratton.

Lumens is the key.

The ultra Sylvania halogens are rated 910/1500 lumens.

The LED kit I linked are rated 3000lumens.

HID/LEDs are illegal unless equipped from factory. And changing headlight housings to anything other than OEM replacements are illegal in California

It's just a Fix-it ticket so like a $30 fine. Keep your stock parts and swap them in IF you do get a ticket.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Lumens are made up BS with LEDs too. Lumens are not about light produced but how we humans percieve it, and it doesnt include a total output, just a single point measurement. So a .5w laser or a 500w LED could potentially both produce the same amount of lumens. This gives manufacturers a lot of play to make shit up. To compare it to rating a car:

Watts is like guessing how powerful it is by how much gas it consumes. (Must make a lot of power, it gets 5 MPG!)

Lumens is like guessing how powerful an engine is via butt dyno, without having any idea how much the car weighs or what the gear ratios are.

Radiometric output is the actual measurement of total light output. But it is rare to see this measurement.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Stratton: buy new headlight housings first. That is a must if you have fogged/old headlights.

The H4 kit I linked comes with the adapter ring you need. Mattliston is half right. If you go look at the pictures for the LED kit, there is the adapter ring with the three small tabs that lock it into the headlight housing we have.
It will work for you Stratton.

Lumens is the key.

The ultra Sylvania halogens are rated 910/1500 lumens.

The LED kit I linked are rated 3000lumens.

HID/LEDs are illegal unless equipped from factory. And changing headlight housings to anything other than OEM replacements are illegal in California

It's just a Fix-it ticket so like a $30 fine. Keep your stock parts and swap them in IF you do get a ticket.
I run truklite led headlights on my tj wrangler. Love them.

My housings in my crx have beem replaced and are in good shape.

So just order exactly what you linked above and im good ?

Ill order tn in my laptop.

Thanks.in advance.

Stratton.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts