Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Wife and the Car
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per law in our country we can not change the engine block.
We can change what ever we like so long as the number on the engine block and the chassis is not tampered with.

A lot of rich guys do engine swaps. But if they are busted by the cops they loose the car or pay a lot to get it out. Neither of which are an option for me.

So this leaves me with only one option swap the heads.
I know its not rocket science we have done head swaps on the Suzuki's

So on a D15B Honda Bottom end say I want to run a DOHC head.

a. Is it possible.
b. What head or heads should I be looking for.
c. What would they cost at your typical junk yard or ebay.
d. What all would I need to pick up to see it swaped. / Any threads on the subject ?

I needs to be a DOHC Vtec head.

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
D block, DOHC vtakz head, not possible. Sorry man :(

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
they have put a dohc zc head on a sohc block...not worth the work put into it, but as far as ive heard its not possible to put a dohc vtec head on a single cam block..

·
Premium Member
The Wife and the Car
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have converted carbed 8 valve SOHC suzuki heads to run DOHC 16 valve EFI heads.
So I dont see why it cant be done. Can you explain what the problem areas are ?

Ok Id be willing to dump the Vtec part. Then what ?

What kind of gains can one expect cc for cc converting from sohc to dohc

·
Registered
a hatch
1,423 Posts
Everything, the only dohc vtec heads are for engines with bigger bore, so id imagine that being a problem 81mm vs 75mm

So the size of the head is the problem

Also, what timing belt would you use?

Edit;Its really not worth it, the DOHC ZC heads aren't that much better than the d series head

·
Registered
94 Civic LX
721 Posts
your honestly better off swapping the WHOLE thing. vtec or not wont matter. have you ever compared a B and D head side by side? its a really big difference. im not even sure if the headstuds would line up. i mean, obviously, if you were a professional machinist you could POSSIBLY make it happen but even then it would probably be unreliable, make low numbers, and be ghetto looking as hell.

·
Registered
a hatch
1,423 Posts
Keep what you got or swap and grind the stamp off and etch on the one from your other motor.

·
Registered
911 Posts
this is like trying to put a overhead cam head on a pushrod block lol....
Ford did that in the 1960s.... Look up the 427SOHC. OP ive seen crazy stuff in the ford world, so your idea isnt that farfetched you just have to be lucky. A popular swap for the Ford 2.3 is to use a Volvo 4V head. Even after the machine work is done its half the price of the only aftermasket head. And it outflows it to boot! Also very few people know this but a GM LS1 head will actually bolt onto a small block ford, bore spacing and pattern compatible also. I would look into engines that are similar to your D, if there are any. Im still a Honda Noob so i dont know if theres a big difference besides the direction of course.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
depends on the lay out.. from what i read, a really crazy NA vtec d will hang right with a mild NA vtce b. which is usually more then anyone can afford after they swap. so for the money, it would probably be best to just build the d. :tt2:

dohc d head has been placed on a sohc d, but it didnt seem to blow the socks off the owner. want the link? its in the DOHC section of the forum if you want to do your own searching. which i suggest, since i will probably forget this thread once i make this post. :lol:

·
Registered
THE CRX
977 Posts
just build the single cam. I heard they can take out a DOHC VTEC any day right? ;)
very true, although i can see why he has become convinced that this is the right move, but if its out of desperation then you shouldnt worry, if its power and high comp ur looking for then u might as well switch to a b, but a dohc conversion isnt gonna help you win races, youre still gonna have the wrong block, mismatched parts dont puzzle up for a reason bro, you cant frankenstein everything.

but if youre that serious for power then you should just snatch up a jdm zc head from an SiR and go from there. switch the guts out of the block and cam gears then turbo turbo turbo!!! if not? its too bad you cant switch out blocks in india when they make those poor saps in japan replace the engine before it even gets warm. good luck with that...

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
There is no vtec DOHC D head. All DOHC D heads are non vtec.

The B series DOHC vtec has a lot bigger bore and therefore bigger bore to bore centres. The B series head is just plain to long and to wide.

The DOHC Ds have quite a few differences apart from the head, nothing insurmountable, but problems to be solved.

The most difficult problem is the DOHC has bigger studs, I think 12mm vs 10mm but check it as I am shooting from the hip.

I am not sure, but maybe one stud also does not line up.

The oil drain back holes might well be different. Once again, not insurmountable to a man with good fabrication facilities and skills.

The distributor is different, the pistons are different but still interchangable, the loom is a bit different depending on which model DOHC. There are ODB0 and ODB1 versions. The ODBO has the CPS sensor driven by the exhaust cam rather than being incorporated into the dizzy. ODB1 DOHC engines are very rare.

The oil pump is different but interchangeable, the sump is different but interchangeable, the inlet manifold is specific to the DOHC head and not interchangeable. The exhaust manifold is different but interchangeable with a bit of a bodge (ghetto) or whatever term is current in India. You would need to check out water pump, timing belt tensioner, and crank gear for the timing belt. Also if you run a D15 block the deck height is to low so you will have to find a timing belt to fit or a way to take up the extra slack, then fix the cam timing.

If it where me, I would try to get a black top, 3rd gen ZC DOHC complete engine and polish of the engine number and re-stamp it. Number punches of the correct size and style are relatively cheap. It could be made look original if you took care and practised on old junk blocks.

What do you do if you throw a rod and severely damage the block. There must be some scope to replace an engine rather than scrapping an otherwise good car.

·
Registered
HONDA
774 Posts
dude for get these guys the have no clue what they talking about. ofcourse you can put a B hean on a D motor. just need to drill and tap new head bolt holes and get the correct gasket. go for it dude it will be awsome.

·
Registered
ed7
399 Posts
pat got it 100%...as usual

Bigger struts and one doesn't line up(have to drill a new hole)

oil drains are different but like pat said....

you have to run dohc dizzy...oil pump are same but dohc flows better, water pump to, intake manifold from dohc, exhaust dohc (or sohc but dohc has slightly bigger ports)

edit: i was talking about dohc d head....fuck

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
dude for get these guys the have no clue what they talking about. ofcourse you can put a B hean on a D motor. just need to drill and tap new head bolt holes and get the correct gasket. go for it dude it will be awsome.
Since we are so stupid where is your proof??? Its always funny when people come into threads like this make a simple minded statement but yet still leave no proof...... :3dtard:

Secondly what happens if you blow your motor over there. Your forced to use the same block over? What do those people do in that situation your country cant be the only country in the world that motors dont blow up if so Im moving over there. When I say blow up I mean throwing a rod dropping a valve kind of catastrophic failure . I would look into that angle there has to be some sort of loop hole or exception if not that is beyond fuckered.

Lasty a damn good port job with a nice cam will make pretty damn good power with a D if your going the FI route also dont be afraid to play with compression high comp and turbo are the shit and with the great precision alot of these newer EMS's have its easily controlled and can be pretty reliable..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.