Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up the recent Import Tuner from the stand and it showes some nice Early Honda's in it from Japan. No real features of any cars but it does have a little info on each cars spec.

What is confusing is that a couple of the cars which are 88-91 hatch's (sorry I don't know what the proper insignia is) are using ZC blocks and B16 heads. Or so it is listed.

Is this possible or is that a misprint? I thought the zc was D series block that came with a DOHC head? Please clarify this for me!!!

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Most likely just an uninformed editor/writer.

I mean, even the conversion doesn't make sense because both B16 and ZC are 1.6l; and the B16 was already available there.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
And the B head is substantially longer than the ZC block.

Some confusion also arises out of the ZC being refereed to as though it is one engine. It is in fact a series of three basic engines, being the ZC DOHC, the ZC SOHC non vtec and the ZC SOHC vtec.

Remember, motoring journalist might claim to have motoring knowledge. A few do, but most don't. They normally have an arts degree, not an engineering or other science degree.

·
Registered
90 Posts
thats what i was going to ask, if you put a zc head on a b block, wouldnt it hang off the end? thats the way ive always thought atleast.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Helpful Hint: Disregard anything you read in (import) car magazines.

Want some tech? Pick up a few V8/hot rod/grassroots magazines.
In my experience I would have to agree with the V8 mag comment. My conversations with imports owners and domestic owners seem to differ quite a bit. The import people I see in person annoy me and piss me off cause its always, "I'm gonna do this and its gonna make X amount of hp and I'm gonna kill this car and that car. Whereas MOST of the the conversations I have with muscle car guys is truly about doing the work.

I hate reading those import mags and catching a bunch of misprints or incorrect statements cause then every friend I have with a Honda wants to say I'm wrong about something cause some jerk-off wrote it in an import mag. My grandmother left my mother with some wonderful advice which she then handed down to me. "Believe none of what you here/read and half of what you see." Its never steered me wrong.

I know at least 4 people who to this day still think you can bolt a B series head to a D series block. This saddens me :(

·
Registered
895 Posts
If you want a good honda magazine hit up Honda Tuning, I've been reading that and project car for a while now and they both are more oriented at the work and legit facts than the flare and worthless pew pew facts :)

·
Registered
610 Posts
I pat more attention to articles in Playboy than in car mags. Car mags are for pictures only. They really are only advertisements anyways. They make their money by selling ads, having more readers only means they can charge more for ads. When they do a product "review", it is usually actually a paid advertisement. Of course, this only applies to most mags.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Grassroots Motorsports is myfavorite magazine. Thet test one or two meaningful thingsevery month and I've learned alot about suspension from it.
GRM seems more like a newsletter to me than a mag. Of course, they still make their money from ads, but it seems like it's written by car guys that race instead of writers that write about car stuff.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
In my experience I would have to agree with the V8 mag comment. My conversations with imports owners and domestic owners seem to differ quite a bit. The import people I see in person annoy me and piss me off cause its always, "I'm gonna do this and its gonna make X amount of hp and I'm gonna kill this car and that car. Whereas MOST of the the conversations I have with muscle car guys is truly about doing the work.

I hate reading those import mags and catching a bunch of misprints or incorrect statements cause then every friend I have with a Honda wants to say I'm wrong about something cause some jerk-off wrote it in an import mag. My grandmother left my mother with some wonderful advice which she then handed down to me. "Believe none of what you here/read and half of what you see." Its never steered me wrong.

I know at least 4 people who to this day still think you can bolt a B series head to a D series block. This saddens me :(
i got some import subscriptions and what you just said make me relize how true this is and glad i didnt renew

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sport Compact Car was the shit. It broke my heart when they stopped making it. They had a can instal article for the 4AGE that blew my mind. They were never about what the car looked like but what the owner did himself to it. They always had a sweet ass project or some busted race car made into a full feature.

I hate primedia for dropping it......

·
Registered
610 Posts
Sport Compact Car was the shit.

I hate primedia for dropping it......
Agreed. Turned into "Modified" which is Fan Boi faggy bullshit.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts