Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what have you guys heard about supertech valves? i'm planning a boosted set up running at least 15-20 psi.
will supertech be a good way to go for oversized valves?

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
I was told this by Joseph Davis about a question I had about valves...

The roomate had stock intake valves with Ferrea exhaust valves in his 2.0/VTEC, T67, 9700 rpms. The heads fell off the stockers on #2 where the faces are friction welded to the shafts, the carnage was so bad that it beat a hole in the top of the piston so large you could pass a quarter through it. The Ferrea exhaust valves were mildly bent, the Ferrea valvetrain didn't break and drop the shafts on any of the valves in #2, and the Eagle rod on #2 was fine and is in another engine making 317 whp for 6+ months now - props.

The BRMS racecar had Supertech valves and valvetrain sleeved LS/VTEC, GT35R, 9500 rpms. The heads fell off the Supertechs on #2 where they thin the shaft down too much making them fragile, it was pretty mild compared to my roomate's even though all four Supertech valves were folded in half or broken off as Brandon got out of it pretty quick. Three of the shafts still retained by the valvetrain; the retainer on one of the exhausts lost the keepers, it could probably have happened to my roomie's car in the paragraph above with Ferrea valvetrain, so I might be a little off the subject pointing that out.

A local guy also lost a valve face off a Supertech in a 9500 rpm NA car, crunch crunch crunch.

Cliff notes: Ferrea mildly bend (5-12 degrees) when exposed to horrible carnage that beats holes in pistons, Supertech fold completely over or break when exposed to the same abuse only for 1/20th the time.

Maybe Supertech just make a poorly QC'd product for B-series? I dunno. I also know that while Ferrea isn't the only place on the planet to make top notch valves - not even remotely - they are the only valve manufacturer I've had as much positive experience with.

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Need and want are two different things...if he wants them or would like to know about them that's cool. You telling him he doesn't them is out of your hands.

I've only heard great things about Ferrea! I'd get them before Supertech...maybe S2?

·
Registered
110 Posts
ive never heard much about them, but manley and sealed power are good as well... not real expensive, and other than a few times some customers wanting to use cheap ebay valves thats all ive ever put in.

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well it's pretty much that when i get the head worked over i want some aftermarket valves but wasn't sure wether to go with oversized or not. i mean if i go oversized i'd go a very small amount. so is that a good idea i figured with the d series head goin oversized would only help.

·
The Great Weldini
8,901 Posts
damd starting to see alot of sc members, there goes the neighborhood. lol.

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so don't go with oversized valves? well thats another thing i was wondering. so supertech is not really recommended what others besides ferrea could i go with?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
don't forget KMS...but i'm personnaly staying with stock valves...

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
B series snapping heads is more related to the high rpms and spring harmonics bouncing off the seat.

I have necked down stem, stock diameter SeuperTechs in my ported head.

8000 rpms is my planned limit.

·
Registered
137 Posts
so don't go with oversized valves? well thats another thing i was wondering. so supertech is not really recommended what others besides ferrea could i go with?
The stock valves will allow u to make 400Whp but with the oversized valves the exhaust flow and feed to the turbo will be different. If you have a well built turbo manifold that can flow that extra exhuats flow then i would go for it.

The spool time and the overall response should be great but if you do the over sized valves might as well build the entire head, you need the ports to be able to facilitate the extra flow and a cam to keep the valves open a bit longer and lift them higher to get the full potential out of that setup. It should work out to be really good.

What BLK92_D16 posted could show that one valve manufacturer has better quality but then there are so many reasons why or how the supertech's culd have let go. Do a little research on how the companies make there vlaves and see which price suits your pocket.

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i'm going to need as much spool as possible cuz if i can't find another one i'll be puttin a 60 trim on. and my manifold is a log style... nothing fancy. so i think i'll stay with stick size.

when looking for how they are made is there a certain process or something special to look for?

·
Registered
137 Posts
well i'm going to need as much spool as possible cuz if i can't find another one i'll be puttin a 60 trim on. and my manifold is a log style... nothing fancy. so i think i'll stay with stick size.

when looking for how they are made is there a certain process or something special to look for?
Thats kind hard, you would have to understand some metalurgy, one company may use slightly different percentage of a alloy or watever it can be really technical, thats the only way i can think of to determine which brand is better, not which brand is claimed to have bent more when something went wrong internally.

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so i guess i'll just go with popular.. cuz some things are popular for a reason.

because i really don't understand that metallurgy stuff.

·
Registered
137 Posts
so i guess i'll just go with popular.. cuz some things are popular for a reason.

because i really don't understand that metallurgy stuff.
LoL yeah... just look for someone who did it, and its proven to work. Most times u cant go wrong with that. Good luck man :cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts