Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My compressor is surging. How can I find out what is making it do it? I had another thread on here and you guys said I was maxxing my turbo out at 27 psi, so I turned it down. It stopped for a while but now it is doing it at 23 psi. I put an old greddy bov on it, and pressure tested my boost system from the turbo inlet to the end of the intercooler piping, and fixed lots of leaks. What can I try next? Can my mbc make it surge?

·
Retired From Hondas
2,795 Posts
might be time for a 50mm

running 20+ lbs needs some flow. Tial or Turbosmart would be my recommendation

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
What turbo is it exactly?

I had an egay one (a "GT2870") that surged when I tried to run more than like 17 psi.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Saying its 0.60 A/R doesnt mean much, its just a ratio of proportion, not a measurement of size. You could get a 0.60 A/R turbo thats bigger than your entire engine.

But anyway, If youre going over the surge line, its going to surge. For that turbo apparently 27 psi is too much for how much your engine is flowing. Either get a turbo with a steeper surge line or make your setup flow more.

Youre probably going to have the same issue with the HX55 except instead of happening at high boost it will happen while spooling up and stop once youre boosting hard.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,795 Posts
oh, i thot it was when he was letting off. my bad

If it is a true 60-1, they have smaller efficiency ranges and really arent the best pick for alot of set ups.

Do the math and see for yourself.
Squirrel Performance

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, sorry I don't really know A LOT about sizes of turbos. I do know that my old ebay 50 trim was just a tad bit smaller than this turbo. It used to flow great at 27 psi in 2nd, now all it is doing is fluttering. That is why it was not making sence for it to be the flow of my engine.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Search around online, there are guides. Garretts website has some good info.

Basically along the left hand side of the compressor map is the surge line. If you go above this line you get surge because youre basically making too much boost for how much you are flowing.
This usually happens if a compressor is simply too big, but it could also happen if the turbo has a particularly shallow surge line.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts