Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...when the motor is cold everything works amazingly. Once the motor gets to about 77c the compressor starts surging. Tried adjusting the bov all the way loose and it's still doing the same thing. I'm getting new spark plugs today. Any other ideas guys? This shit is driving me insane.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
that's weird. blow off valve only works off the manifold pressure/vacuum , I don't see how engine coolant temperature wouldn't effect it.

what kind of blow off valve is it?

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Where is the vacuum source for the BOV? And again, what type of BOV is it? Ambinent temps sholdn't have a thing to do with it.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
If its surging when you let off the gas, then its the BOV. You may not like the noise but it wont hurt anything.

If its surging while the turbo is spooling, then its the turbo. The turbo either has an oversized compressor for the engine, or the turbo is of poor design and has a shallow surge line. This is a common problem with chinachargers.
This kind of surge can damage the turbo. If it lasts long enough harmonics can build up and make the wheel(s) touch the housing(s).

·
Registered
286 Posts
So...when the motor is cold everything works amazingly. Once the motor gets to about 77c the compressor starts surging. Tried adjusting the bov all the way loose and it's still doing the same thing. I'm getting new spark plugs today. Any other ideas guys? This shit is driving me insane

Compressor surge. What kind of BOV are u rocking?. And is your currant setup dyno tunned for the BOV. If it was and Ebay Cheapo.Get rid of it. I had bad compressor surge with My EVO when I swapped the Recirculating BOV with a 35 ebay BOV....Stupid change. Anyways what I would suggest is to get HKS SSQV BOV or a Greedy Type RS BOV...I changed My BOV with a Greedy type RS and No more surge or Boost Creep. Also how much u are boosting can make a diff as well. U might not be making enough to take advantage of the BOV. I actually had this problem before to. I had boost creep or compressor surge after letting off when I changed to the cheapo style bov. So I took out 1 of the 2 springs (WHICH I DO NOT SUGGEST) however if it takes care of the surge then u know its the BOV....And go buy a good once. Again this worked for me (but eventually it did cause more issues down the line because the single spring wore out) then I was back to square 1. U might try this and if it takes care of it then find out what a good BOV for the amount of boost u are making would be...I like HKS because they are pretty simple cut and Dry.....Of course these are just my thoughts and no one elses.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's the bov from the tsi kit. I'm guessing I need to relocate the intake filter to get colder air or get 2 steps colder spark plugs. It runs great until it gets hot. It surges when I shift but also takes a while to build boost when hot. When the engine is cold it builds pretty quick and I get no surge. The vacuum source is behind the intake manifold. Any other ideas? I'm thinkin about takin off the hood and drive it at night and see if it still surges when engine is hot.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a black vacuum hose that came with the kit. It's connected to the line that goes from the intake manifold to the throttle position sensor.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The kit came with the aem fic and it was tuned already. The tsi kit is made to be bolt on and go. Took some modifying but it fit good. The tune it has works good too. But for some reason it just keeps surging when engine hot. Could switching from 1 step colder to 2 steps colder solve this issue? Maybe the air going into the motor is too hot and it's not combusting as good when hot like it does when the engine is cold?

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
ok going to need more information.

the tsi kit is for the 8th gen civic.
They have the maf sensor. which means during shifts the bov opens and he air rushes out.
The mixture goes crazy and you can get bucking and what not.
The fix for this is to route the bov back in.

But thats if you have a 8th gen civic.

If you have something else then post what you have since you might not have compressor surge but another problem and just not know.

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
If its happening when its warm its probably not compressor surge, its probably not tuned very well and when it gets warm the afr changes and you get bucking/ surging.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So would I add gas or take away gas to fix that issue? I was gonna get some flex pipe stuff and route the air filter away from the engine. The filter is sitting in a stupid place the way they set up the kit. It's right above the transmission.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not sure what it could be. Would switching to 2 steps colder help? And it also shuts off when I am about to stop and put it in neutral. And I'm not sure if it's compressor surge. That's just what it sounds like. Every time I shift is when it makes that noise. It sounds like it spools normally. But when I shift I hear a flutter then the bov goes off late. I had them send me another bov and it does the same thing.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
I'm not sure what it could be. Would switching to 2 steps colder help? And it also shuts off when I am about to stop and put it in neutral. And I'm not sure if it's compressor surge. That's just what it sounds like. Every time I shift is when it makes that noise. It sounds like it spools normally. But when I shift I hear a flutter then the bov goes off late. I had them send me another bov and it does the same thing.
you still didnt answer my questions.

what kinda car? 8th gen civic? 06-12 r18 motor?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I just got a turbo blanket to see if maybe that helps.

Turbo blankets are a great way to kill ambient heat man same with using header wrap down and uppipe. But I don't see this helping the prob man....If the BOV can be taken apart and only if u feel good about it. Try removing one of the 2 springs. Leave the heavier spring in. Run it and see if it helps. This is not a fix...Just a way to see if the BOV is the prob.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry about that bro. It's the 05 civic ex with the d17a2 engine. Now I just realized that the kit came with a "map box" and I didn't know what it was for. I read online that it stops the stock ecu from seeing boost. Do u think that not having that on could be messing everything up and causing all these issues?

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Sorry about that bro. It's the 05 civic ex with the d17a2 engine. Now I just realized that the kit came with a "map box" and I didn't know what it was for. I read online that it stops the stock ecu from seeing boost. Do u think that not having that on could be messing everything up and causing all these issues?
I doubt it. If your using the aem fic it has a build in map clamp could be in the tune.
Once things are warm up the car adds/ subtracts fuel base on intake air temp, coolant temp.

Still need a video of this sound.
It could be surge or it could be miss fire.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts