Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did a compression test on my '00 coupe. D16y7. Came out as
That's from 1-4.

I plan on running a greddy 15g kit. But since this is my DD, I am concerned of the variation in compression test results. Manual says that 28 psi is MAX variation. It falls into spec I suppose but at the bare maximum allowance.

Will the added positive crankcase pressure cause further wear on my cylinders? Any useful insight from experienced boosters will help. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah looks very low, my eg d15b7 sedan runs ~180 across the board IIRC.

Yeah I don't plan on running the stock injectors just due to their size. I have some 240s laying around but if I were to clean and rebuild them, I could prolly get some used RC's and just have the RC's checked.

I got a d17 VC for venting purposes and a baffled catch can. I got a spare black box too so I can just put a barb fitting in that and plumb it to the catch can.

The motor is fairly peppy for what it is but is a sloath at lower RPMS.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah it's still got some grunt to it. But anything below 3k RPM is boggy as hell. I guess I gotta double check IGN. timing.

I did valve lash when I first got it in '10. .06 IN, .08 EX.

AFAIK it doesn't burn oil. Last oil change was last year I believe lol (NOT last year beginning of this year actually my bad). And it's still right at the middle. It's got a few leaks around the oil pan but that'll be solved once I replace the oil pan gasket along with the tapped pan.

I forgot to mention I did a wet test on cyl. 1 and the gauge shot back up past 200 psi. So I'm pretty sure it's the rings.

I got a bunch of block and heads I can slap together but the funds are VERY tight and even boosting now I'm kinda struggling getting the rest of the parts I need. Boost pipes, injectors and wideband is all I need to buy in order to boost.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot to mention that the car has ~151,000 miles. 114,000 when I bought it.

I installed an oil pressure gauge recently engine HOT readings are
25 psi @ idle
~75 psi @ 3,000 PRM

So if the formula of +10 psi per 1,000 RPM is correct, I believe oiling system is still healthy.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Forgot to mention that the car has ~151,000 miles. 114,000 when I bought it.

I installed an oil pressure gauge recently engine HOT readings are
25 psi @ idle
~75 psi @ 3,000 PRM

So if the formula of +10 psi per 1,000 RPM is correct, I believe oiling system is still healthy.
Yes that's actually pretty good. What's it at at 6k rpm?

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
When your talking Comp gauge readings allways mention your elevation.
Sounds like a tired engine. I would go with a fresh set of rings and hone at the very least. Else as soon as you boost your oil is going to turn black and engine will wear out really fast taking all moving parts with it. i.e. rockers / cam etc.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When your talking Comp gauge readings allways mention your elevation.
Sounds like a tired engine. I would go with a fresh set of rings and hone at the very least. Else as soon as you boost your oil is going to turn black and engine will wear out really fast taking all moving parts with it. i.e. rockers / cam etc.
Elevation is ~550 feet above sea level. Yeah numbers wise it does look like a tired motor. But it still can move fairly well in the upper RPMs, I don't have any problems with cold starts, and it does't burn oil at all.

If it were my choice I would definitely rebuild a motor before boost. But it's not a feasible option this time. For me, the purpose to boost my current motor is to get a feel for boost. I've never owned a boosted car before. I want to see if I like it or not. I have a feeling I'll like boost though! lol

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Elevation is ~550 feet above sea level. Yeah numbers wise it does look like a tired motor. But it still can move fairly well in the upper RPMs, I don't have any problems with cold starts, and it does't burn oil at all.

If it were my choice I would definitely rebuild a motor before boost. But it's not a feasible option this time. For me, the purpose to boost my current motor is to get a feel for boost. I've never owned a boosted car before. I want to see if I like it or not. I have a feeling I'll like boost though! lol
Bokst is the same as NA lol. It just has a kick after your NA runs out and you go into boost.
Your like it and will probably want more.
You can run low boost now and build a block while your doing it.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'd boost it personally. Compression gauge readings vary with brand, so it's more important that the readings are consistent. They aren't too bad, you will probably notice some oil loss but keep an eye on it and it should be fine.

I boosted a 140k mile Y8 for 12k miles before swapping for a built motor, it was making 235whp and was fine. Of course, I didn't beat the piss out of it at every stoplight and kept up with the oil consumption. Make sure you vent the crankcase properly.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bokst is the same as NA lol. It just has a kick after your NA runs out and you go into boost.
Your like it and will probably want more.
You can run low boost now and build a block while your doing it.
Haha yeah I had a pretty decent n/a build before but I wasn't 100% satisfied with the power output. Basically po8 head, crower stg. 3, p29s. I don't know if it was my tune, tall transmission, hogged out head, etc. but it wasn't as fast as I expected.

I got like 3 spare blocks I can build up and I have a ported z6 head by PPorting that I look forward to using. This time around I know exactly what to do and I learned a lot of do's and don'ts from my previous build and from all the reading I've been doing about boost. It's funny cause I haven't touched motors aside from basic maintenance since I sold my old car back in '09. Family is priority though!

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd boost it personally. Compression gauge readings vary with brand, so it's more important that the readings are consistent. They aren't too bad, you will probably notice some oil loss but keep an eye on it and it should be fine.

I boosted a 140k mile Y8 for 12k miles before swapping for a built motor, it was making 235whp and was fine. Of course, I didn't beat the piss out of it at every stoplight and kept up with the oil consumption. Make sure you vent the crankcase properly.
Yeah a friend of mine boosted a 220k motor and it put out ~190hp out of a 19t turbo. He said he didn't encounter problems aside from simple stuff like couplers popping off, etc.

For ventilation I have a large baffled catch can, d17 vc and a spare black box I plan to put a barb fitting on. I think at the boost levels I'm aiming for that should be ok. The d17 pvc opening is massive! Is there any way to tell the block is being vented properly? I assume for open catch can setups, bigger and more is better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts