Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rebuilding the D16A6 engine in my RT4WD. I don't want to have a whole bunch of HP or torque, as these transmissions are rare. 130 HP MAX is fine with me. It's just gonna be a daily beater.

I have happened upon a D16Y8 head, complete with cam, intake and exhaust manifolds. I figure the bump in air flow would make a little more power AND increase efficiency.

I just don't know if I can run this setup on 87 octane.

Calculating for PM6 pistons in the D16A6 block and the D16Y8 head (and cam), it puts me at 10.08:1 compression.

Anyone have experience with higher than normal compression N/A setups on regular fuel?

I know the D17A2 in the 2001-2005 Civics runs a 9.9:1 compression ratio just fine on regular fuel. And the D17A in Canada and JDM cars runs a 10.5:1 ratio, but I'm not sure what fuel they recommend on a stock engine.

·
Registered
Subbie Outback
205 Posts
We run a B2 block with a shaved head and 3-layer MLS head gasket. We run an A6 cam. We're about 10.5:1. We run 92 pump gas with a bit of timing. If we run 87, we have to pull timing to prevent pinging.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
I'm rebuilding the D16A6 engine in my RT4WD. I don't want to have a whole bunch of HP or torque, as these transmissions are rare. 130 HP MAX is fine with me. It's just gonna be a daily beater.

I have happened upon a D16Y8 head, complete with cam, intake and exhaust manifolds. I figure the bump in air flow would make a little more power AND increase efficiency.

Calculating for PM6 pistons in the D16A6 block and the D16Y8 head (and cam), it puts me at 10.08:1 compression.

Anyone have experience with higher than normal compression N/A setups on regular fuel?

I know the D17A2 in the 2001-2005 Civics runs a 9.9:1 compression ratio just fine on regular fuel. And the D17A in Canada and JDM cars runs a 10.5:1 ratio, but I'm not sure what fuel they recommend on a stock engine.
Got 48 mpg out of this combo on stock ECU, never check where the previous owner set the ignition timing though. It would be unhappy if you tried to pull from 1500 rpm in 3rd gear, like doing a 1-3 skip shift on 87 octane. On 89 it was happy as could be.

Replace the tensioner pulley though, when it failed on the way home it kissed the valves due to valve reliefs in different position

·
Registered
50 Posts

Is the $5-7 difference in filling up your tank really going to matter?

Seems like splitting hairs for something you are actually concerned with driving.

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Maybe not directly relevant, but on a musclecar we got by on super high stock compression by having delta grind us a small stockish cam w extra overlap to lower the dynamic compression. Worked great. Probably won't help economy or pass emissions

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I used to run a mechanically stock b16a1 on 87 octane all the time, without issues. Just smooth out the timing spike around 2k on the stock maps and it shouldnt be a problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts