Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So stupid question lol.

So i was sitting in my room, going though some dvd that where on my tv stand and guess what i find.
A big as o-ring. Its about 4inch. I got to thinking what the hell is this and what does it go to.
Then bam a spark goes off in my head. Its the damn o-ring for my turbo compressor. Feel off when i got the turbo because i took the compressor off to clock it. Or it could be for my dizzy lol, either way i dont believe the commpressor has one on it right now.

Pix pulled for google for ref.

fyi my turbo is the one that has a big pain in the ass snap ring

Now my turbo boosts up. Its a nissan t25
3k it starts building boost
4k im @ 5psi
5k im @ 10psi which will run all the way till redline.

MY question is that oring important?
Should take off the turbo and put it on?
Or is everything fine since its been like this for almost 3months.
Will i get a fast spool?
Idk if its leaking there since i never boost leak tested, because i never had a reason to.

My guess is if its leaking some there under boost that i would get a fast spool, but is it worth taking off the turbo and putting it in right now.

Thanx for the help. I know its a bone head question and story.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if it was leaking it would drop boost.

if it holds steady, you should be fine.
Yea it only drops @ 9-10psi. The gauge bounces 9-10-9-10-9 etc..
but thats in the tune and im working that out now.
Other then that it holds boost.
I guess ill leave it out till i get bored one day or change up the dp.

I figure it was ok since it boosted, was just funny seeing the oring and thinking your not suppose to be here.

·
Registered
852 Posts
My Garrett 50 trim doesn't have one, the compressor housing is machined to seal without one.

I'd run it if I were you, my Ebay turbo came with one. Your T25 should be spooling faster than that no?

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
if it was leaking it would drop boost.

if it holds steady, you should be fine.
WRONG.

it will still be able to maintain 10psi, it will just spool up to 10psi slower, and it will take WAYYY more work from the compressor to maintain 10psi. it will be MUCH less efficient.

you need to take it apart and verify you have the o-ring in there. it is very important. and without it you will have a huge boost leak

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Garrett 50 trim doesn't have one, the compressor housing is machined to seal without one.

I'd run it if I were you, my Ebay turbo came with one. Your T25 should be spooling faster than that no?
Thought it should be spooling a lil faster but not sure I do have a small dp that flares out to clear ac.
Also the snap ring keeps the compressor held in place good.
Maybe ill make a bosot tester and see how much its really leaking.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Man, fuck those huge snap rings. Even though it's a pain in the ass I would do it.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
i couldnt get mine off and on with snap ring pliers (prongs bent). I ended up using a set of giant needle nose pliers for mine. Was like..... at least a foot long.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Shit.
This damn car kicked my ass..
First off i had 2 stripe exhuast nut. Wouldnt come off they where rounded. So took me like an hr to get those off.
Then the damn snap ring wouldnt come out. I almost had it like 3 times but it just pop right back in.
So i said f it Ill do it another day when i get some better pliers.

Also since i was looking over everything i look at the inlet tube. Looks like its blocking intake flow.
If anyone remembers i made a thread about it and some said it would block some flow others said it would work.
Well i removed that and im going to go out later today and test it out. If that makes boost pick up better then im going to remake the inlet tube.

Also i pressure tested the compressor hosing low psi since i dont got a boost tester and it seems to hold pressure.

So now on my list is.
Test drive with no filter/ inlet turbo, see if boost picks up better.
Build a boost leak tester to see if the compressor is leaking.

Thanx everyone for the help. Ill update this.

Those snap rings are a pain,
But I would put that back in!
My vitara t25 starts spooling @ 2-3k and hit 15psi by 5k
Kinda like mines. Ill check datalog for details but im only running 10psi and i make that by 5k, even spiked to 12 around 5.2k once.

***update..
So test drove. it feels a lil stronger but idk. Maybe its just because i can hear the turbo more now.
Either way im going to redo the inlet since i really dont like the old one. .

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
WRONG.

it will still be able to maintain 10psi, it will just spool up to 10psi slower, and it will take WAYYY more work from the compressor to maintain 10psi. it will be MUCH less efficient.

you need to take it apart and verify you have the o-ring in there. it is very important. and without it you will have a huge boost leak
Ive seen one build boost normal then drop in higher rpm where it began to leak more. The extra flow from the higher rpm caused it to leak and be noticable.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Man, fuck those huge snap rings. Even though it's a pain in the ass I would do it.
no complaning till you've delt with a hx35 snap ring....not harbor freight, home depot, menards, ace carried a snapring plier big enough to get it, i ended up paying $15 to a deisel turbo rebuild place to do it for me

i had a t28 of a pulsar gti-r. its both bigger and uses journal bearings and it spooled faster. i would pull it apart and drop it in asap

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I didn't know the hx35 had snap rings, I thought they were all clamps or bolted. THAT would suck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts