Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one is kind of weird to me. The engagement height is super low, as in maybe an inch from the floor. I have gravity bled the hydraulic system and also done it the way the manual recommends. Neither one seems to bring the engagement height any higher. The first part of pedal travel feels as if there is almost no resistance, so it makes me think there is still air in the system.

There is another odd symptom as well. When the clutch pedal is pushed all the way to the floor while the engine is running, I can hear a noise that doesn't sound right. It is almost like something is dragging.

Here is the rundown:
Used CC stage 4 clutch.
Brand new Sachs release bearing form Worldpac for 96-00 Civic.
Brand new Daikin flywheel with pilot bearing from Worldpac for 96-00 Civic.
Freshly rebuilt 92-95 EX/Si transmission.

The engagement is about what I would expect for a 6 puck clutch, but is is super low, and makes the car kind of difficult to drive.

I hate hyrdo clutches.

lol.

Cliffs:
Low engagement height. Is this a common theme with CC clutches?

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
Pedal height is pretty normal.

Your noise is probably a throwout bearing if you tossed in a used one.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pedal height is pretty normal.

Your noise is probably a throwout bearing if you tossed in a used one.
I put in a brand new throwout bearing when I installed the clutch and transmission.

Adjust your clutch pedal?
I don't really want to start adjusting crap that isn't normally adjusted unless I have to.

Like I said, the first part of clutch travel feels like there is almost nothing there.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Engagement height is fixed. For whatever reason, I never noticed the large amount of pedal freeplay with the stock clutch.

Adjusting the pedal pushrod worked.

Still have a noise, but that very well could be the TOB. :(

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Engagement height is fixed. For whatever reason, I never noticed the large amount of pedal freeplay with the stock clutch.

Adjusting the pedal pushrod worked.

Still have a noise, but that very well could be the TOB. :(
Or it is the sound of the discs meeting the flywheel, My 5 stage made this same sound when it was brand new. Hell I can still make it if I release the clutch really slow.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
i had to adjust my pedal/rod a little to raise up my engagement point on my CC stage 5 on a hydro setup.

its really nice and about perfect in the middle now.

·
Registered
2007 Dodge ram
293 Posts
Crankwalk... Yikes... I thought I got away from that when I left the DSM world!!... Second gen 4g63t's have a horrible time with crankwalk... Didnt know that Honda's are having the same problem... I will also be installing a competition stage 4 clutch on my Fresh built Vitara'd Z6... I hope I dont have any issues with Crankwalk...

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Crankwalk... Yikes... I thought I got away from that when I left the DSM world!!... Second gen 4g63t's have a horrible time with crankwalk... Didnt know that Honda's are having the same problem... I will also be installing a competition stage 4 clutch on my Fresh built Vitara'd Z6... I hope I dont have any issues with Crankwalk...
dont sit at red lights with the clutch pedal in, and you should be ok.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Or it is the sound of the discs meeting the flywheel, My 5 stage made this same sound when it was brand new. Hell I can still make it if I release the clutch really slow.
It sounds more like that than a bad release bearing to me. Never really been around a puck style clutch other than big trucks, and they sound totally different with the engine running and the clutch disengaged.

I kind of doubt it is crankwalk as the pedal pressure really isn't that high to begin with. Who knows though.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
When I went from my OEM clutch straight to my Comp STG 5 I didn't need to adjust anything. Now, when I replaced my clutch master cyl and the slave I had to adjust everything and bleed...but that was to be expected.

Yes, riding the clutch can help decrease your clutch setups useful life and that of the TOB. Learn to drop it into N at stop lights and not ride it cowboy.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Maybe its me or something, but with my CC stg 4, I never wanted to sit for any length of time holding that clutch pedal down. :pinch:

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This clutch it probably absolutely awesome for racing, but for driving in a smallish town, it sucks ass.

:lol:

Kind of wish I would have stuck with the stock clutch for now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts