Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've been offered some comp cams valve springs from a local guy for what seems like a reasonable price. The part No. Is 912-16.

However there doesn't seem to be too much info knocking around for them. Does or has anyone run them? Any thoughts or experiences?

Do they need seats underneath them to have the correct installed height like some springs, their website doesn't say much on the fitting requirements.

I'm running a delta 272 cam in a d16a6 on twin 45 carbs and I wanna ensure the valve train is nice and stable in the higher revs as its a track car/weekend toy. It would be nice to take it up to 8k if it makes power there too without having to worry about the valves dancing.

Thanks,

Lee

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,110 Posts
coughcallcompcough

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could call comp but don't fancy spending the extortionate amount per minute as im i the UK. Plus im sure i'd get greeted with a sales pitch aswell as the info im after. Nothing like cold hard experience either.

I've since messaged Jon at Delta and hes recommended installing them with a slightly shorter installed height to raise seat pressure a little. I sent him the specs of the valve springs and he said they will be good to use.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Done my research, didn't realise comp cams and Zex are the same people.

Looks like they don't need seats but i will measure the installed height when building the head back up as i plant to get a valve job anyway, then will shim if necessary.

Jon recommended installing them at 1.920" rather than comp cams 1.950" to give a slightly higher spring seat pressure, when i asked why he advocated doing this he replied ''to boost open(max lift) pressure''

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After taking delivery of the springs i quickly looked at them and realised 8 were different to the other 8.

8 had a thicker gauge wire measuring at 3.50mm, the other 8 were slightly thinner at 3.30mm(awfully if not exactly the same as stock?) which worries me as there is no mention of two different spec springs for intake and exhaust. The free height is approximately the same.

I'm worried 8 are uprated and the others are just stockers, the thinner springs have no colouring on them though like honda springs. I've emailed Comp Cams to see if they can help.

Any one shed any light?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts